Author Topic: Hump back flints  (Read 10127 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Hump back flints
« on: December 06, 2011, 05:32:26 PM »
Over the years I have accumulated a fair number of hump backed black English flints. I keep throwing them aside. I remember someone posted here that they cut them using a diamond tile saw setup. I don't have one of these, what else works to make them usable? I have a bunch of high speed grinding wheel like you use for body work, will they cut them? I would have to rig up some type of holder to cut them and didn't want to go to the trouble if someone else has tried and failed.

I also have a "green" wheel for grinding carbide tool bits but hate to ruin it on flints.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: Hump back flints
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 05:44:38 PM »
I've 'de-humped' a few flints with a handheld rotary dremel tool.   I think I used one of their conical or beehive shaped grinding stones, but I don't remember if it was green or brown in color.

Offline Maven

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 06:56:39 PM »
Don't forget to wear a dust mask or respirator to prevent inhalation of that nasty flint dust!
Paul W. Brasky

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 07:19:01 PM »
Taylor and I use out green stones on the grinder, Dennis - carefully - don't want to get the stone too hot or it'll crack/break in two or more pieces.  Something else that works if the hump isn't too high, is to hot-glue a small piece of leather or wood onto the back or front slope to make it flat topped.  The round hardwood rods in hobby shops work well for this.  A short section glued across the flint while placed to make a flat portion on the flint across the point is all that's necessary.  
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:19:51 PM by Daryl »

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 08:37:30 PM »
I saw for sale somewhere little plastick wedges to install in the jaws to stableize misshaped flints. Would they be useful here?

dannylj

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 08:52:05 PM »
I have used a diamond tipped tile blade (about $12 at Lowes) in my angle grider with pretty good success. Put the flint in the vise between 2 blocks of wood and go very slow.  Danny

jamesthomas

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 11:00:34 PM »
 Just get your flints from Rich Pierce, just got 2 dozen from him and no humpbacks! when I've got the flints from ToTW or MBS, I've always had 4 to 5 humpbacks or unusable flints. I've used that dremel wheel on the humpbacks to, just grinded it down just enough to so the topjaw can get a good grip.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:03:57 PM by james e »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 11:09:50 PM »
Thanks for all the info. Will try some of your ideas. Yes Rich's flints are far better fits in my rifles and they seem to spark just as well but I need to use up some of the older ones that I got elsewhere.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

William Worth

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 12:34:51 AM »
I use diamond stones to reshape flints on a routine basis.  I do it wet (the stone that is).  They actually cut pretty quickly and shape up pretty well.  

I need to try the hot glue idea.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 03:32:05 AM by William Worth »

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 02:27:00 AM »
Ive used silicon carbide(green) wheels, also diamond stones with good luck . A water drip at the contact point will help with edge fracturing. When holding gemstones to grind Ive used a lump of sealing wax on the end of a short dowel. Maven makes a good point, the dust is very bad for you.....another good thing about a water drip is dust control.........    regards..          Kerry

Macon Due

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 04:38:40 AM »
One thing I discovered when using the diamond wheels in your Dremel tool....do NOT turn it up to full speed! Use it at about 1/2 speed otherwise the shaft of the diamond wheel instantly bends at a 90 degree angle and the tool trys to jump clean out of your hand!
Macon

Offline Simon

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 04:46:59 AM »
I use cheap diamond bits from Harbor Freight held in a Dremal   tool  with the flint in hard plastic jaws in my vice.

Mel
Mel Kidd

Offline kutter

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 05:58:17 AM »
Not knowing any better, I ended up with some flints with the peak on top.
To hold them more securely in the jaw, I glued two small snippets of leather to the normal piece that holds the flint.
They lay cross wise and on either side of the peak when in position. The extra leather makes up for the extra elevation of the unwanted point on the flint.
Super glue works great and fuses together in a few seconds.

I use worn out (for my metal polishing purposes) but still usable on flint,, E-Z Lap Diamond Hones for touching up the edge.
Even a 'fine' hone cuts flint like it's a file on brass. I leave it right in the jaw to do it and easily extend the life of the flint several times as it takes almost nothing off to re-edge it. A double bevel seems to help too.

Here I thought I was the only one that ended up with those triangle shaped flints...

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 04:21:11 PM »
Dennis
If you have a 4" angle grinder [you can get a cheap angle grinder from Harbour Freight] ,Home Depot sells diamond wheels for 13.00 , then  mount the diamond blade in the angle grinder. I them hot melt all the humped back flints to a board, and then cut the humps off. Hope this helps.
Tim

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 09:39:46 PM »
Great tips, will try a few of them.
Thanks
Dennis

Offline wmrike

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 12:10:08 AM »
This isn't exactly the answer to your question, but I use epoxy to build the hump out to a surface that is parallel with the base.

54Bucks

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 01:17:03 AM »
 I've simply used the diamond coated dremmel type tips in the dremmel tool while holding the flints down on a pc. of leather on the bench top. I've never had the bit grab the flint and throw it dangerously. I prefer the longer bits that are longer than a flint. Quite easy to put a good flat area(both sides) on any flint. Just a few days ago I bought a 20 pc. assorted diamond coated bit set on Ebay for just over 20 bucks.

JohnnyM

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 01:37:26 PM »
Thanks for all the good ideas.  I can already hear all them humpbacks in the shootin' box yelling, "Sanctuary! Sanctuary!" as they settle into the loving jaws of the hammer, ready to make sparks.... ;D

Regards,
Johnny

long rifle

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 04:07:33 AM »
How do you get a hold of Rich Pierce to buy his flints??

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 04:39:30 AM »
How do you get a hold of Rich Pierce to buy his flints??

Go to the ALR Member Services & Products for Sale forum and look for RP's entry for "Missouri Long Trek Flints".

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 01:23:17 AM »
shims made from maple or walnut scraps.....

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

coutios

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 06:02:20 AM »
  I must be doing something wrong. Never had a flint that would'nt stay put. Allways use a thick enough piece of leather. Last time I bought flints was from Vern Davis.. Bag of 250.. Not a bad one yet...

Just lucky
Dave

Offline LH

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 06:59:36 PM »
I'll add one more thing to the list,  that being making a longer top jaw screw and a thicker leather to take up the slack.  This will put the flint at a steeper angle to the frizzen and some rocks will last longer this way.  I was doing some kind of range test a couple of years ago and got 160 shots out of a rock that had a hump on it. 

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 08:02:53 PM »
I use a small hammer and flake/break off the hump.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine