Author Topic: 1st build in progress, thoughts?  (Read 11631 times)

Stone River

Re: 1st build in progress, thoughts?
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 04:44:13 AM »
Hi all,
     Don't get me wrong I'm having a blast with this.  Just venting every once in a while.  I have the tang in place I think pretty well.  Now that it is down, I have a very small gap between the breech end of the barrel and the wood at the breech area.  I can just barely fit a piece of regular printer paper between them.  Close enough?  I left a small gap at the rear of the tang so maybe after the 1st couple shots everything will settle?

I hate to take up everyones time on this.  I really enjoy the posts regarding originals and the different styles, so I'm trying not to take up everyones' time on my little crisis' in this project.  I learn alot from them, and when it comes to shaping the stock I'm sure they will be a great help.

Thanks for the pep talk! I actually caught my mistake with the breech plug bolster from Mike's tutorial and with the help of some guys who PM'ed me.  Feel free to do that.  It would be greatly appreciated.  Sleddman has been awesome, big thanks to him.

sr

Frank Savage

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 04:58:21 PM »
This resembles to my own carnage with tang inlet a year ago. That´s OK , Stone River. If you´re tech type guy, you´re just looking for all details you can imagine (very well) and since being new to this job, simply not able to distinguish the importance ratio between them during the job or better, in advance. Confusing for a tech mind ;D Together, I spent about 5 whole days on tang (ok, it was whole-wrist lenght hook-breech type...) After about two hours of work, one is incapable to see the trees for the forest around :-)

Make the gap at the rear of the tang a little (but for sure) wider than the one between breech and breech-face of the wrist curently is. You´re going to put the barrel in and out many times, tap it and other parts in and out maybe even more times-it will all settle down, some gaps will close a bit, some might emerge (but if no mistake is done, they should just close). Also before drilling breech and tang bolts, you´re going to put the barrel in and whack the gun against the floor (buttplate on, pile of rags under!) several times, then clamping it to get no shear load on the bolts after driling tight holes.
So just before preparing for surface finish, check again the breech and tang gaps. Then take care about it-glue two or three layers of printer paper to back end of barrel chanel or whatever you feel comfortable with (count some little excess for compresion during shooting). One or two paper thickness is no deal in vent placement. Now, when the barrel has a lot of time to "sit down" better, it´s just unnecesary work and worries in my opinion.
Just remember-you definitely want a hair gap behind the tand even after the finish is done and the gun is assembled. It might close after first shots if there´s some room for movement, or might rest as is-then a drop of wax or putty made of caoline and linseed oil is pressed in to seal. You want this to let the barrel push against big area of breech face, not against small area at tang end-this ends up with cracked wrist.

Good luck

Stone River

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 03:58:36 AM »
Thanks for the tips Frank.  I actually left some wiggle room to compensate for errors inleting the tang.  I left myself about 1/32" of an inch where I can still move the barrel back and not affect the liner that much if I messured correct once out of the 50 times I did.  With the tang down and in place I plan of doing the last little clean up on the rear of the barrel fit against the wood to hopefully get alittle better contact there.  I may have to move the tang back slightly still but by hairs, just a slight scraping at the end.  That's my plan of course, which is probably where your paper tick will come into play after I mess that up. ;D 

Hopefully I'll get that done tonight or tommorrow and than thankfully on to the trigger plate, yeah!  Pretty tired of looking at the barrel part of this gun.

Thanks all,
sr

sleddman

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 03:28:47 AM »
Well Dan How you making out.    Keep it going.