Author Topic: Some Recent Work  (Read 14497 times)

don getz

Re: Some Recent Work
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2008, 04:19:45 PM »
Jim....haven't seen any of your work in a long time, did a great job on both of these,   BUT, don't think you are going to
get off scott free.......you have got to take a closer look at good old original sights.....why in the h___ did you put those
ugly Hawken sights on it???????          Don

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2008, 10:57:37 PM »
Jim....haven't seen any of your work in a long time, did a great job on both of these,   BUT, don't think you are going to
get off scott free.......you have got to take a closer look at good old original sights.....why in the h___ did you put those
ugly Hawken sights on it???????          Don

Don:
Just prostituting myself! The client asked me to build him his dream retirement gun....wanted something my heart wasn't into but he was a good old friend. He spec'ed the sights he wanted which included that ugly buckhorn hawkin site and the TC front blade ( ah but I did put in a pure Ivory insert )  Blame it on Keith Casteel... That's who he got his info from. Shoots a 50 grain slug out of that fast twist Ed Rayl Barrel...... to shoot antelope at 200yd open sight.... 5 possibly six years here on my bench and now the sound of a "very small ca-chink" as the coins hit my piggy bank...and it is my last contract piece! so now I build the way I want from now on for me and if they want them fine. I did a little free form work on the Jaegers ( Violin & Grotesque) so that is the wild and wacky way I'm headed

Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

caliber45

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 04:19:17 AM »
Jim, I gotta tell you: I tend toward the small, light version of b-p firearms, and am somewhat turned off by the older, hunky-clunky beasts of yore. Nobody's fault but theirs (and mine, of course!). But I gotta tell you, if anyone could change my mind, it would be you. That's gorgeous work. Beautifully executed -- it tends to minimize (!) the hunky-clunky aspect of that era's firearms (even though they must still weigh a dozen pounds or so -- not something welcomed by a scrawny old f--t such as myself. who has graduated to building "grandkids" rifles. I like the length and weight myself, see, the grandkids aspect is just an excuse). Anyway, beautiful carving, beautiful engraving, beautiful finish. Super job, guy. - paulallen

don getz

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2008, 05:20:10 AM »
OK Jim, you're forgiven.  Sometimes those kind of things happen.  I have reached the point now where, when someone
asks me to do what I feel is a stupid thing, I just refuse to do it.  But, then again, I'm not doing it for a living.  I have a
list of people who want me to build guns for them, most have not really specified anything and are leaving it up to me to
do what I want, which is great.  This list also aggravates me because I have a great piece of english walnut just waiting
for me to build an english sporting rifle....it's been waiting for nearly 20 years now, so it's good and dry.  Beautiful color
in it, with black streaks running thru it....sometime, hopefully before I can't lift that chisel any more.....Doon

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 12:45:09 AM »
Caliber45.... Those aren't heavy by any means The Jaeger's come in at about 7 lbs and that Bullet gun comes in at near 8 lbs They may look hefty but for the most part they are light. 31" .62 cal on the German guns and 36" .50 Cal on the Bullet gun

Don I'm looking for some nice English walnut....I can help you with what you have if your having any difficulties with the chisel!
I noticed the difficulty in the name spelling  ;D
Jim
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 12:45:32 AM by JWFilipski »
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

fullcircle

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 04:02:28 AM »
BREATHTAKING WORK!! I actually got goose bumps looking at those Yaegers. Don't know which was better,the work or the way you photographed the work. Great stuff!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:04:07 AM by fullcircle »

karwelis

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2008, 07:27:31 PM »
good stuff there i give that a two thumbs up!

karwelis