Author Topic: Versa-vise sale at Garrett Wade  (Read 7553 times)

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Versa-vise sale at Garrett Wade
« on: January 03, 2012, 12:33:40 AM »
Just going thru the January 2012 Garrett Wade sale catalog, and see that the Versa-vise with the extra gimbal is on sale for only $72.95  it's item number 05R10.10  This is the one that gives you an extra swivel.  www.garrettwade.com  It's about $12 off, which probably covers most of shipping.  If I didn't have two already, but without the extra swivel, I'd be ordering one.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Jim Chambers

Re: Versa-vise sale at Garrett Wade
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:17:41 AM »
Bill,
Many thanks for the heads up.  I needed an extra vice or two for our rifle kit assembly class in June.  Ordered one last night.

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 04:42:30 AM »
Note the acknowledgement on the Garrett Wade site to ALR member Jerry Crawford for the improvement to the vise.

Larry Luck

Offline flehto

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 05:53:18 PM »
Thanks for the info.....one's on the way to my shop....Fred

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 06:01:11 PM »
Kudos to Jerry Crawford (aka holzwurm).  Glad his improvements got some attention.  Also hope he got something more than a mention on their website.

Curt

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 04:40:53 AM »
Thanks Jerry.Thanks Bill....ordered one 4 days ago..just drilled and tapped the bolt..its mounted and leveled..no excuses now ;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:41:42 AM by WaterFowl »

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 08:32:17 PM »
Installed the Versa-Vise and while making brass brass jaws for it , had to keep tightening the 2 hand knobs. ...don't hold very well. Decided to drill  detents for both knobs so the rotation and tilt will stay put. I don't intend to use either adjustment, but do want the vise to stay put.  This is a secondary vise for  holding small parts while my big vise is in use and isn't suitable for my heavy hand  while roughing. Anybody use this vise for their main vise and did you make any  changes to stabilize ?....Fred

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 01:08:34 AM »
Flehto; Says it all. Read above posting. Very poor quality casting from you know where, China. Any work considered above light limits will require a real American vice. Everything about this vice is under designed. Mine is currently being used for a hold down weight on our rose bush cover. (winter) Turkeyfooter.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Joe S

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 02:24:13 AM »
I bought one of these when they first came out, 18 months or so ago.  It fell apart within a few hours of use.  Garret-Wade was real nice about it.  They refunded my money plus sent me a gift certificate.

I liked the design, but I won’t buy another one until I’m sure they solved they quality prtoblems.

Here's the vice I had:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=11852.0
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:28:32 AM by Joe S »

Offline flehto

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 03:23:01 AM »
Ordered this vise from another supplier {w/o rotation and tilt} and the nut/screw had too  much "slop" and it wouldn't clamp. Sent it back and they even paid the return postage. This was the first thing I checked on this vise and although it takes a few turns to move the jaw, at least it clamps. ....Fred