Author Topic: file,scrape or sand??  (Read 4913 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

file,scrape or sand??
« on: January 05, 2012, 03:05:32 AM »
Ok so you are at the point that your stock is maybe 3/4shaped upper, lower forearm, lock and wrist and butt.  Now do you use various files, carpet razor blades, or various grade of sand paper (on a block) or do you fiddle around with all of them as I do.  It's good I have no body calling me "hey is my rifle done yet? ::) 

I gotta tell ya the carpet installer's blades scrape pretty slick at least w/the grain.  What say you ???

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: file,scrape or sand??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 03:49:24 AM »
I run files lengthwise on forends, toe-lines, anywhere there's a long plane that should not have dips and waves.  I do a lot of shaping with spokeshaves and have one with a rounded sole that helps to scoop out cheekpieces etc but it has to be razor sharp to go across the grain.  I use files a lot then follow with scrapers, especially that one with the French curve shape.  I use glass microscope slides for a lot of scraping also because I work in a lab and lots get tossed out. I don't use much sandpaper anymore.  This was probably never done but I use scouring rush, horsetail Equisetum a lot to clean up carving.  I dry it after harvesting.  Then wet it for use, split it, make it flat, cut it to shape and use it in tough corners, also to buff the stock after staining.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 04:01:05 AM »
In general, don't worry about scraping or sanding until your stock is pretty well completely shaped.  Sometimes a heavy card scraper can be used in the shaping process, but for me the stock is nearly to size before it is used much.   Use rasps, files, edged tools etc. to get it to shape and then use either scrapers or sand paper to smooth and refine the surface.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 05:34:49 AM »
ThankeeInfo well taken and I hope I can remember to remember.....

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 07:39:35 PM »
I use primary chisels, rasps and scrapers.  Some times I use files for long incised lines and moldings like along the bottom of a cheek piece or a forearm molding.  I haven't used sandpaper in a rifle in years.  It shows!

JMC

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 08:04:05 PM »
I use a small hand plane thats only an inch wide. 

Offline Captchee

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 01:08:28 AM »
 if you think the carpet knife blades work slick , try some carpet trimmer blades  ;)

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 02:02:52 AM »
if you think the carpet knife blades work slick , try some carpet trimmer blades  ;)
You are referring to those blades that are a knockoff of a double edged razor blade, if so thats what I use. :)

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 04:04:37 AM »
At 3/4 shaped, I'm definately at the cabinet makers rasp, plane, spoke shave mode.  I recently purchased one of those Japanese cut files, and really like it for final shaping.  I don't use scrapers/sand paper until everythings down to final shape.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Captchee

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 05:26:38 PM »
You are referring to those blades that are a knockoff of a double edged razor blade, if so thats what I use. :)

Nope . those are carpet Knife blades . the trimmer blades are about the same size but are a triangle shaped  and sharp only on one side .
 they are just as sharp but a thicker blade