Author Topic: installing double triggers on single trigger gun  (Read 8288 times)

Offline sonny

installing double triggers on single trigger gun
« on: January 01, 2012, 01:20:19 AM »
I really try to get use to single triggers but cannot get the lock to function correctly when sear springs are reduced. I can make it work with 2pd trigger pull but love to be able to tickle off the shot for hunting an not play tug of war with triggers.Can anybody help me with installing double set triggers on a single trigger gun? can it even be done??.thanks...sonny

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: installing double triggers on single trigger gun
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 01:32:28 AM »
Its not a problem if you have room in the trigger guard to allow the set triggers to be properly placed. Just take a look at a TOW catalog and see if you can find a set that will fit in your guard with room to move around for proper placement in relation to the sear bar.

To determine where the trigger plate needs to be inlet, pull both the front and rear triggers back you will see a "vee" where the two levers meet. That is approximately where the sear bar should be in relation to the triggers. The problem will be determining whether or not your current trigger guard: 1 will correctly contain the double triggers 2. Properly fit/cover the old trigger guard mortise. I doubt that you would be lucky with both happening at the same time!  Good luck!
Dennis
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:27:01 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 01:39:58 AM »
Have you considered a single set trigger? Push forward to set and then trips with light pressure.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 01:54:21 AM »
Your lock would also have to have a fly so sear can ride over half cock notch on its way down.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 04:12:15 AM »
"Tug of war with the trigger" set triggers sure spoil us don't they? That is why I quit using them. In the old days the DCM match rifles had to have a 4 lbs trigger and were weighed before each match. I got so spoiled using set triggers I could feel them creep with a 6oz break point. You sould be able as Dennis said to get one to work. Good luck, Bob

Old Salt

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 05:40:59 AM »
In my experience reducing the sear spring is not a good method to reduce trigger pull on a single trigger.

I have found that reducing the depth of the full cock notch is safer and easier.  You don't touch the nose of the sear nor the face of the full cock notch.  Good jewelers files will do the job.

In my mind a strong sear spring and a shallow full cock notch are safer than a weak sear spring and a deep full cock notch.     

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 06:18:28 AM »
I really try to get use to single triggers but cannot get the lock to function correctly when sear springs are reduced. I can make it work with 2pd trigger pull but love to be able to tickle off the shot for hunting an not play tug of war with triggers.Can anybody help me with installing double set triggers on a single trigger gun? can it even be done??.thanks...sonny

The sear spring is not the problem. The sear nose and notch in the tumbler have to be properly stoned. BUT this is not something for the uninitiated to try. Its a very fine line between safe and dangerous when working on sear engagement.

What lock do you have? It must have a fly to work with a set trigger
Will the TG accept DST?
If not I think Davis just introduced a single set that if its done correctly should work for you and will require less work than DST. Its number 0002. Its on the website but the photo is labeled "prototype". But the design is an old one and works very well.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline sonny

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 03:41:30 AM »
the lock is a siler an i always was led to believe that single set triggers never worked properly?????.......sonny

Offline Simon

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 06:07:45 AM »
the lock is a siler an i always was led to believe that single set triggers never worked properly?????.......sonny

I have a muzzle loader builders supply single set trigger with a Chambers early Ketland , and I have never had a problem with it.  It fires set or unset just fine.

Mel
Mel Kidd

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 06:23:43 AM »
Single set triggers if properly made will work flawlessly but therein lies the problem,a lot of them are one level below wretched and were made to sell,not to use. The best were made by watch makers in the French speaking part of Switzerland but are seldom seen here as loose items. I used to make them on rare occasion and got $100 each back in 1980.
The lock must also be tuned more than the normal amount to use these triggers.

Bob Roller

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »
What sort of trigger do you have now?  If it is one of those assemblies that has the trigger piinned to the plate, some of these yield such a low pivot point for the trigger that it makes for a hard pull.  A correctly positioned pivot point - I like to use a tall trigger, shaped carefully and pinned high in the wood closer to the sear (a little in front of and an little above the sear) of the lock - can offer a very light pull.  So  it is possible you could install such a new trigger through your existing plate.  However, as Dennis said, there are a lot of "if's" as to whether or not everything will fit, or work.  But it may be another possible option. 

GM

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 02:24:50 AM »
Sonny,   I have replaced a simple single trigger and a couple poor quality single set triggers with double set triggers.  You will find that to be properly positioned the double set trigger will set back a bit further 1/2-3/4 inch.   on the stock.  The front firing trigger will be near the same location as the single trigger, so the LOP is not materially changed.  Due to the back setting trigger being further back the trigger guard has to be moved or replaced if the original trigger guard will not accommodate double set triggers.  Moving the trigger guard back leaves a gap at the front that must be covered with some type of inlay of set in a piece of matching wood and the area refinished.   It is not a hard job, just a little fitting and some inletting..

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 03:24:16 AM »

There are a number of designs for SS triggers and almost all will work if PROPERLY done.
I have a  W H Moore rifle with a cam over type set trigger. This is not my favorite design but this one is pretty good for a cam over.

"The Gunsmith of Greenville County" has a drawing of a good SS trigger. If you can borrow the book.
Its this basic design. Its illustrated in George's 'English Guns and Rifles" as well.

This is a great trigger and I like it a lot. But it has to be put together right. This is the same design as the Davis trigger previously mentioned.
They are not as good as a really good DST but they are capable of being set far lighter than most people would like with a clean creep free break.

They key in set triggers, and other things of this sort, is "properly done". 
There are set triggers being made by people who do not understand the proper function, as a result there are triggers in service that leave a lot to be desired and as you state "never worked properly".

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 05:07:18 AM »
This SST is a variant on an English design,
Doe the trigger HAVE to be set before the lock is cocked? If so,then it's a bad idea from the beginning.

Bob Roller

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 05:16:26 AM »
I have two rifles with single set double action triggers made by Stan Hollenbaugh. Work wonderfully set or unset. One with a Chambers Round faced English lock and one with an Chambers Early Ketland lock. You can't do any better

http://www.stanhollenbaughgunsmith.com/page4.html
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming