Author Topic: Nicholson Pattern Makers Rasps  (Read 5818 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Nicholson Pattern Makers Rasps
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:11:43 PM »
Jamestown Distributors has # 49 & # 50 rasps on sale. Almost half the price Woodcraft asks.
Eric Smith

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Re: Nicholson Pattern Makers Rasps
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:27:43 PM »
Do you have a link?

Offline James

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:46:29 PM »
You better check if they were made in USA or Brazil.  The USA made Nicholson rasps were wonderful, then I got one made in Brazil and it was less sharp than my worn out USA one.   I returned it, Nicholson was nice enough to replace it with a half dozen equally dull made in Brazil rasps.   I have gone through a number of rather expensive rasps, but to this point have not found any to equal the old USA made Nicholson # 49 rasp.  I really miss the good USA made rasps.   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Dogshirt

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:27:20 PM »
You better check if they were made in USA or Brazil.  The USA made Nicholson rasps were wonderful, then I got one made in Brazil and it was less sharp than my worn out USA one.   I returned it, Nicholson was nice enough to replace it with a half dozen equally dull made in Brazil rasps.   I have gone through a number of rather expensive rasps, but to this point have not found any to equal the old USA made Nicholson # 49 rasp.  I really miss the good USA made rasps.   

I miss MANY good USA made things.

Offline valongrifles

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 05:49:49 AM »
Made in USA? I know the feeling. I assisted my son with a pick-up of merchandise at Sears weekend past and browsed the tools while he was elsewhere. LOTS and LOTS of tools, wrenches, pliers and such, look like the old CRAFTSMAN tools, but when you can finally look on the back of the packaging there it is MADE IN CHINA. CRAFTSMAN!!!! MADE IN CHINA! In fairness, there were some MADE IN USA, but I'll be really carefully with my assembled CRAFTSMAN tools in the future.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 03:58:13 PM »
Buy American,the job you save might be yours.
Anybody remember that slogan? Now the question is WHERE can I buy American. I get mad when I see old and once honorable names like Craftsman,Delta and others with a "Made in China" label on them. I bought all of my power tools,lathes,milling machine,bench grinder years ago when they were made in places like Kalamazoo and Pittsburg. My precision measuring tools are Starret,Brown&Sharp and a couple of George Scherr & Co items like a 14"Vernier caliper and a pre WW2 Mauser combination Vernier caliper and height gauge with the Scherr name on it. By the way, a DIAL caliper in NOT a Vernier but only a VERYNEAR caliper and the electronic ones are a waste of money IMHO. A set of "standards" to recalibrate the micrometers and check the VERYNEAR calipers with are mandatory and my preference IF they can be found are the Brown&Sharp circular types but the lineal ones are OK  but not quite as easy to use.
Good files are a treasure IF they can be found and I use "hardware store"files to rough in with and the better German,Swiss and older English ones for detailing and I always look for this sort of thing at flea markets. The cheap files can be ground and altered to all kinds of shapes and I do it whenever I need to. I have been given some other seldom used tools like dividers and dial indicators by people who no longer need them and recently got some old but never used Lufkin adjustable parallels still in the boxes with the 1940 prices on them. It's impossible to have too many tools for any kind of endeavour and if you have a nice assortment,take care of them.

Bob Roller

greybeard

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 05:57:34 PM »
Was it "Red Green" that says "When you die the guy with the most tools wins"
              Bob Reader

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 08:47:37 PM »
yea, got lucky.  My grandfather was a luthier... and I have some of his tools which are beautiful and I will treasure. 

omark

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 08:51:07 PM »
thought it was "the most guns"!?!?    mark