Author Topic: Breech plug repair  (Read 4274 times)

eagle24

Breech plug repair
« on: January 13, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »
I just read the thread regarding the repair/brazed drum.

I have a rifle I bought a few years ago to have something to hunt with while I was building my first rifle.  I had thought about selling it, but wouldn't consider selling without disclosing that it has an issue with the breech plug.  I have decided to keep it for now, but would like to correct the problem and wanted to get some advice from the folks here about how best to correct it.

Basically, the builder did a shoddy job fitting the breech plug and fouling migrates into the threads.  Looks to me like instead of fitting the nose of the breech plug to the shoulder inside the barrel, he just hacked away with a file and completely took the nose of the breech plug out of play in timing the tang with the top flat.

At the present time, I have the threads wrapped with teflon tape and it has stopped the problem of fouling migrating into and deteriorating the threads.  I'm thinking I have (possibly) two options of making a sound repair.  One would be to fit a new breech plug which would require making the tang fit the inlet.  The other option I was considering was to have the nose of the breech plug built up with a tig weld (wont' take much it's touching in places) and properly fitting it to the shoulder in the barrel.

Thoughts or advice on which would be best?  easiest?  When I say easiest, that is assuming the tig weld idea is a sound solution.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:06:26 PM by GHall »

Offline Greg S Day

Re: Breech plug repair
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 09:16:03 PM »
I can't take credit for this because I probably saw it on this site, but how 'buout a thin washer placed on the face of the breech plug.

It could be a solid slug or a true washer.

I believe the old discussion I'm recalling talked about a brass washer to create the tight seal.

Greg
He Conquers Who Endures

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »
Had a similar problem in that the touch hole was too far in front of the breech plug.  We milled a piece of solid brass down to the thread size and then placed it in front of the plug and screwed the plug in tight forcing the brass into the right spot even with the back edge of the touch hole.  You could do similarly to fill the gap between the breech plug and the end of the threads.  Or so it would seem.  Personally, I would probably fit a new breech plug--only about $10 and a little work.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:05:38 PM »
You could weld a new threaded portion from a new breechplug onto the existing tang.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:57:19 PM »
As Greg mentioned, a Dime will solve your problem.  File it flat and thin enough.  You may have to also need to take some off of the plug.  It should fit most breeches .54 or smaller.  Tight seal, and cheap, since with our economy in the toilet, the Dime's worth only a Nickel at best. ;D

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline FALout

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 12:11:55 AM »
Fit a new breech plug.  You can easily reshape the new tang, leaving it slightly larger then the old one, re-inlet the new tang.  Done right, nothing should move much for the pins/lugs.  Maybe some refinishing around the tang.  Then you can sell with a clear conscious. 
Bob

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 02:42:22 AM »
If the plug is replaceable, not something that is so odd and/or unavailable as to need its rebuilding, its a pretty easy fix, just fitting a new plug, a pain but not complex really. Then making the tang match the original
Some custom barrels with barrel maker fitted breech plugs have serious problems in this regard as well.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 02:46:09 AM »
I did the weld on the tang thing on one I am rebarreling right now.
So this is an option too. BUT the tang must be welded on absolutely inline to make it fit the inlet.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

eagle24

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 03:23:35 AM »
Thanks guys.  I guess I'll go the route of fitting a new plug and trying to make the tang match the inlet.  It's a 15/16" GM straight .50 cal barrel.  Anybody know what size the plug will be?

coutios

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 05:33:37 AM »
Should be a 5/8-18.. Is it flared or straight?? Pull the plug and check the diamater just to be safe. Also measure the plug tang to insure the correct one.. If you need to you can hammer it either longer or wider to fill any potential gaps..

Dave

Offline Herb

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 06:55:42 AM »
GHall, my tutorial on page 3, "Fitting a Hawken Breech Plug by Hand", may help you.
Herb