Author Topic: New build after 15 years  (Read 3391 times)

mlrifleNY

New build after 15 years
« on: July 26, 2012, 09:13:48 PM »
Hello to all. I am just getting back at building longrifles. I can't believe how expensive the parts have become.Anyway I have been looking at a lot of suppliers and am thinking of using Muzzleloader Builder's Supply. One of the reasons is that I can get what appears to be a great stock plank with the barrel and RR hole cut in for a reasonable amount of money. I didn't see where I could get this from the other suppliers that carry about everything I would need under one roof. I used to get most of my parts from ( and now you know how long its been) from Golden age arms. Are there any others I should be looking at as well? I think you for any info you might be able to give me.I am not looking for pre-carved stocks. I also have been given a budget of $900.00 and that's it. LOL After 37 years I know better than to try and stretch that amount out.
Just so you have an idea of what I can do, I have built 10 rifles from 1976 to about 1995.

Jim

Offline James

Re: New build after 15 years
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:51:26 PM »
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 02:14:50 AM »
I have a bit of hiatus as well, built maybe 9 rifles & pistols 1962 - 1970's. Seems to me muzzle loading builders supply has the best assortment of hardware & are pleasant to deal with concerning barrels.
Deal with TOW &, of course, Dixie, too.
There is a wonderful Brooks tutorial somewhere on this site, which I recently downloaded & carefully hid in the depths of my computer. Good reminder of what you should have known + more.

mlrifleNY

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 02:17:42 PM »
  Thanks for the info all, I have the Brooks tutorial also as well as all the top books on building. Back in the day they were all we had to go by.

Jim

Don Tripp

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 06:42:03 PM »
It's been 8 years for me. I was shocked by the price increase too. I'm glad that I squirreled away enough parts for 4 to 5 rifles (I just need a stock blank for the 5th one). After 8 years though I'm finding that I'm a bit rusty... Mostly it's the eye sight, just not as sharp as it was even 8 years ago.

I used to buy from Golden Age too, until I discovered Muzzleloader Builder's Supply when Don Eads owned it. Always excellent service from Don and MLBS is still a great company to deal with. My recent experience with Track of the Wolf on-line has been positive too (the internet is a handy tool for the gun builder).