Author Topic: Planes  (Read 4365 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Planes
« on: February 06, 2012, 01:18:46 PM »
Can anyone recomend a good plane type, size, blade, to help with the initial inleting of a barrel, or is this even a good option? Same ? about the ramrod channel. Also any advise at all on using planes during the build in any area.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:20:21 PM by E. Smith »
Eric Smith

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Planes
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:28:01 PM »
If I remember right, there are members of this forum that make planes for the RR grove and barrel. You could search the for sale or members service site maybe.   Smylee

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:22:23 PM »
In Major Ned Roberts book,The Muzzle Loading Caplock Rifle,he writes of a visit to a man called Hacker Martin in Virginia to see how a full stock rifle was made. Martin started with a blank,no precarving or anything else done to it and then rough sawed it into a shape useful for a rifle. Then he gouged and scraped a channel the length of the barrel and then using different scrapers, made the channel more or less octagonal enough to seat the barrel. I don't remember the sequence he then used for the ramrod groove or the lock inletting. Maybe someone who has a copy of that book can continue this thread. Major Roberts himself disavowed any knowledge of long rifles and round balls because he grew up under the guidance of an uncle that was a Union Sniper in the Civil War and the percussion match rifles with their long bullets,cross patches and fine sights were his orientation but he was curious enought to include the making of a long rifle in
this book. I have an original edition given to me by E.M.Farris in the early 1950's and it was given to him by Major Roberts. I will admit that while admiring the art and stunning craftsmanship seen in the long rifle,I am like Major Roberts and prefer the precision match rifles of the American Northeast along with the superb English long range rifles with their over done locks and elegant looks.

Bob Roller

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »
Here's the add for Tom Snyders ramrod groove plane http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=18689.0
Tom also makes the tool to cut an inside taper on a touch hole.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 07:59:54 PM »
A barrel channel plane can be made by altering a wooden body 1 inch rabbet plane such as this one http://thebestthings.com/woodplan.htm, scroll down to number WP110426.  These planes are not too hard to find at flea markets and antique stores, and at relatively cheap prices the last time I checked. (Certainly a lot cheaper than the one in the link.)  I have made a couple in the past.  I'll try to post a couple pictures later if I can find the gear for the camera.
The width needs to be just less than the minimum width of the barrel being used.  The best all around size would be a matter of opinion I suppose.  The planes are used to establish the rough octagonal shape of the channel, after first establishing the side wall profile and hogging out the bulk of the wood with a large gouge.  The final fit of the barrel is spotted in with chisels and scrapers.

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:05:09 PM by J. Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 08:26:08 PM »
Thanks. I have sent a message to Mr. Snyder regarding his ramrod plane. I first saw one of these while observing Mark Silver's DVD. He also used a scrub plane and others. I have read references to the use of a jointer plane being used to level the barrel flat and the lock side of the blank. Any information or discussion here would be enlightening because I have no background with these tools at all. What planes do you have and how do you apply them to gun building?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:01:26 PM by E. Smith »
Eric Smith

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 03:55:55 AM »
I like using the old style  molding planes. I have taken several and modified them to use for barrel inletting. The Square ones I had picked up were changed into the profile that would inlet the bottom three flats of an octagon barrel. I found them at antique shops for the most part. I see them on E-bay from time to time. Here are the ones I use.

Note that I have cut back the front sections of two of the planes to allow the cutter to reach closer to the breach section of the inlet. I have never used the scraper that you can buy but my chisels and a skew for the most part.

Dave Blaisdell