Author Topic: Getting ready to buy. Need advice!  (Read 3241 times)

TinStar

Getting ready to buy. Need advice!
« on: February 05, 2012, 02:47:25 PM »
Getting ready to buy my first parts kit. I did a CVA Mountain Rifle years back and had no problem; but that is a different animal.

Pretty much settled on one of the following three from the Mold & Gun Shop.

Dubbs style smooth rifle
Type D fusil
Their version of a Tulle

All 20ga. with 42" barrel. Going smooth so I can do small game with shot and hunt deer.

Any suggestions, opinions, or advice?

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Getting ready to buy. Need advice!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 03:22:11 PM »
I would get my hands on some good books and videos and do some study on the subject.  Recreating the American Longrifle is just one book and American Pioner Video has several good videos on the subject.     Smylee

TinStar

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 03:52:52 PM »
I already have The Gunsmith of Greenville County and a couple of DVD's. Been doing lots of reading around here and The Traditional Muzzleloading Forum for quite some time too. So now I am just looking for some opinions.

TinStar

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 04:03:32 PM »
What locks do the "Mold and Gun shope" make ?

Best regards

Rolf

TinStar

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 09:17:31 PM »
The locks are made by Larry Zornes who owns M&G. He has locks on RE Davis' site and I believe he makes some for TOTW.
His fusil have a banana shaped lock like a jaeger and his others a Continental(siler type).

TinStar

The other DWS

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 10:03:11 PM »
historically speaking the Tulle and their lesser known St Etienne counterparts were designed as a more robust hunting musket/militia arm than the commercially produced "trade guns" that were initially crafted for trade to the NA.  As usual in the economic chaos of French Canada  some of the tulle-types wound up in NA hands and various trade guns were in the hands of french-canadian and Metis/mixed-blood  civilian/militia.

In my opinion while the Tulle types were not as ornamental in appearance as most of the trade guns and they were built in gvmt. arsenals  to a more military level of quality since they were intended to serve as a civilian hunting gun and as a militia/partizan/scout/ranger arm in wartime.  they were the equivalent of a english purpose built light infantry fusil

trade guns, "fusil de traite" were a commercial product built for the native american market and reflected varying levels of value, some were door-buster-low end and some were built to as high or higher standards as the military arms since they were intended ad gifts/presentation pieces to influential NA leaders.  this if course leads t a whole discussion of the philosophy and tactics of Francco-NativeAmerican economics.

Over the years I have built both types, from scratch in the pre-kit era, and a later TOTW type C kit (with some difficulty and kit problems to overcome)  I'd study all three in some detail and do some serious thinking about your commitment ot the task and what your end purpose is before leaping onto the deep end of the pool

There are a number of good reference books, check for books by TM Hamilton on various trade guns and Russell Bouchard on the Tulle types.  (My copies of the latter are older ones in french but they may have been redone in english translation.)  In any case they are well illustrated. Track of the Wolf may carry them or of course there is Amazon

Offline BJH

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 11:17:14 PM »
The mold and gun shop barrels shoot quite well in my expierence. The but plate in the Jacob Dubbs kit will definately challenge you.  BJH
BJH

TinStar

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 12:14:51 AM »
DWS,

I have a couple of books on colonial era guns and French fusils.
I just need to make up my mind which one to get.

BJH,

I think the buttplate is already inletted on all three. Will have to ask when I call again.

TinStar

TinStar

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 07:20:52 PM »
I want to thank all who responded. After talking with Larry Zornes this morning I think I am going witht type D in plain maple. 20 ga 42" barrel.
Iron or brass makes no diff to me.

Thanks Agin!

TinStar