Author Topic: How to tell if it's Safe to Shoot?  (Read 11439 times)

Dave Faletti

Re: How to tell if it's Safe to Shoot?
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 10:09:24 PM »
Proofing does tell you something valuable.  It tells you whether there is something grossly wrong. There will always be a range where its good enough to pass the proof charge and not good enough to last.  But thats where a proper design with good materials and appropriate testing plays its part.  The rare few sub par ones that make it out show signs of trouble over a number of shots rather than a sudden failure with no warning.  Life testing/destructive testing is the only 100% certain test but then you have nothing left. :(

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 04:50:08 AM »
Proofing does tell you something valuable.  It tells you whether there is something grossly wrong. There will always be a range where its good enough to pass the proof charge and not good enough to last.  But thats where a proper design with good materials and appropriate testing plays its part.  The rare few sub par ones that make it out show signs of trouble over a number of shots rather than a sudden failure with no warning.  Life testing/destructive testing is the only 100% certain test but then you have nothing left. :(

Assuming a 4150 certified quality barrel....

IMO the destructive test argument is not valid in the case of black powder since destruction or even pressures that would cause any damaging strain to the barrel could not be attained with that propellant in a gun barrel of any normal wall thickness for ML arms.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 05:10:33 AM »
I have always been afraid that a rifle that survived one overload may be stressed enough to let go with the next load.

Dave Faletti

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 07:44:06 AM »
Dan your statement is basicly correct, but you missed my point.  I never said how I would conduct the destructive test.  I left out specifics  to reduce the chance of someone going off on a tangent.  I completely agree with you on a heavy wall barrel with good modern gun steel.