Author Topic: Pre carve barrel inlet  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Pete G.

Pre carve barrel inlet
« on: February 10, 2012, 04:19:47 AM »
I have built a few rifles from pre carves where the web was really too thick to build a thin forestock. I built a scraper to thin the web by scraping the ramrod channel which worked out fine, but I have started to wonder if maybe that was the wrong side to work from. Should the barrel be let deeper to address this or is my method OK? The other issue that comes up on pre carves is the breech inlet. How far back should the barrel be set and how is this point determined? Incidentally this is on stocks not inlet for a lock. What do you guys think ?

Offline Swampwalker

Re: Pre carve barrel inlet
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 06:07:34 PM »
One thing you can't modify is the location of the ramrod hole.  Having this located deep relative to the barrel limits how much can be removed from the bottom of the stock below the lock panels to give the gun a graceful contour.  I would recommend drawing the location of the lock and the final contour you are looking for and seeing how these will relate to one another.  As you are aware, it's lots more work to set the barrel deeper than to set the ramrod groove deeper, and I would avoid doing so unless absolutely essential to your rifle.  On the subject of where to set the breech, you need to know where the touchhole will be to determine lock placement, but as the lock's not inlet, you have some latitude.  I would just cut the breech end of the mortise square to accept the barrel flush at the back, and then inlet the lock to relate properly to the touchhole.  Hope this helps.