Author Topic: Help with flint lock  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Help with flint lock
« on: February 16, 2012, 04:38:34 AM »
I am helping a young builder with his first rifle and he needs a LH English style flintlock. He has a chance at a LH Dixie Ashmore lock at a good price, but I have no experience with that lock. Anyone here that has experience with them? Is it reliable sparker? How would it be for person new to flintlocks as well as building?
Dennis
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:39:20 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Habu

Re: Help with flint lock
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 07:14:58 AM »
Dennis, I used a few.  Not up to the standards of today--plan on reworking/tuning etc.  If you think of it as a lock kit, you'll be properly prepared. 

But I couldn't recommend it as a lock for a beginner's first rifle.  It was a royal pain to keep running, there was always something going wrong with it.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:23:51 AM by Habu »

ken

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:26:29 PM »
I have two such locks. They are reliable sparkers. I do wish that they hit more of the frzzen. They were not bad to inlet and have had no trouble with the springs. I would say they are better for smaller cals. andthinner rifles.

ken

MarkEngraver

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 07:01:12 PM »
That's the lock I used on the 2nd rifle I ever built 30+ years ago. RH Dixie Ashmore, .45 x 13/16 Douglas on a Poor Boy.
I agree, it's not up to today's standards, but that little lock is still running and still sparking today !

If your helping, Dennis, I'm sure you would be able to fix any problems encountered.

Besides, aren't we all going "GREEN" now........ remember- recycle !?  :P :P

Mark

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:54:37 PM »
Thanks to all for the input. I passed it on to my friend and will let him make the decision since he's footing the bill. Always helps to solicit input from those with experience.
Dennis
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:03:22 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 01:02:59 AM »
One of my early years at Friendship, late 70's, I bought about 6 of them from Dixie for $15 apiece, similar to a CVA, nuff
said..............Don