Author Topic: Are fold down vernier sights available for a Lyman GPR?  (Read 6136 times)

Martin_G

Are fold down vernier sights available for a Lyman GPR?
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:28:08 AM »
I haven't shot a B/P rifle in a while and none with a peep sight. I've seen the sight Lyman makes for the GPR but it looks bulky to me.

Would a fold down vernier sight be a better choice, and are they accurate?

Thx...

Daryl

Re: Are fold down vernier sights available for a Lyman GPR?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 07:21:06 PM »
The Lyman GPR's are quite accurate - propelry loaded, as accurate as anyone's sporter barrel from what I've seen.  The only reason for a peep sight I can see is perhaps to cover exceptionally poor eye sight & given that, a barrel mounted peep, like a full buckhorn sight used as a peep sight would be preferrable, to me.

I do not know of a folding tang sight made for that rifle.

The other DWS

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:36:29 PM »
With enough time, talent, and money thrown at it anything can be adapted to anything else.  (you want green laser sights on your dueling flintlock pistols,  we can fix you right up if you got the bucks ;D ;D ;D)

There are a wide range of grades of "vernier" sights and quality and price are pretty much parallel.  There are cheap imported verniers that are way too sloppy and inconsistent for accuracy and very high end ones used for 1000 and 1200 yard backpowder shooting.

I think one needs to consider the way the rifle is intended to be used, out to 100 or 150 yards as a hunting rifle good open sight are probably most common and practical.  I personally have a hard time expecting any patched roundball rifle to have a practical working range much beyond that--maybe 200 at a stretch--or 250 for an experienced expert on paper targets.

Tang mounted peeps like the Lyman and Marble sights do have practical applications at patched-roundball ranges ranges, especially for us guys who are getting age/visually challenged particularly on a gun for personal use---historical accuracy cops bedammed.

However verniers were basically used for long range and target sights and did not become common until VERY late in the patched-ball flintlock era, if at all.  Not to say some one may have adapted one for that use way back when.  In muzzle loading terms I associate them more with the precision long range ML rifles of the Rigby/Whitworth type in the post-Civi-War during the transition from L Percussion bullet rifles to the early cartridge singleshots.

In leafing quickly through the Hamilton/Rowe book "the American Percussion Schuetzen Rifle" I only note 2 or 3 of these very high grade 200 yard target rifles that used very simple vernier sights and one looks like its sight is a later addition of a cartridge rifle sight. Most of them use an adjustable barrel tang mounted lollipop or diopter
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:43:07 PM by The other DWS »

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 08:43:45 PM »
For a tang sight to work, I feel it will have to have windage adjustment.  Too, any gun with a hooked breech, can give accuracy problems with a sight mounted back on the wood- if the breech is not of perfectly matched to the tang. It can work fairly well, though. I just have difficulty with the idea, I guess, on a hooked breech, plains-type rifle.

The other DWS

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:54:21 PM »
From my background in the single shot side of the sport, I can say you need windage for sure, but the sight also needs to be solidly mounted to the tang as well. If it is just screwed to the wood, the way wood changes and screw tension can cause the sight to tip side to side, very slightly but more than enough to turn a 25 center into a 24 or often worse @200 yds (that's if you are reading the wind right).  Some guys will inlet and permanently glass bed a steel base into the upper wrist and drill and tap it for the tang sight base, which helps a lot.  If the tang is long enough, drilling and tapping it for the sight base in much to be preferred, if a tang sight is deemed necessary.

FRJ

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 12:41:22 AM »
I have a Lyman peep on my GPR only because I had a stroke in my sighting eye and lost part of the vision in that eye. Also the part thats left isn't anywhere near where it was prior to the  stroke. That said it works great and I would highly recommend it to anyone that is visually challenged. FRJ

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:22:45 AM »
FJR- that's the tang mounted Lyman peep, I'd expect - similar to the one on the TC's?