Author Topic: Diffferences in Walnut  (Read 4319 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Diffferences in Walnut
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:16:46 PM »
Hi y'all;I am currently building-with the help of my amigo BWalden,a long gun stocked in Georgia american black walnut,.In comparing the blank with one cut here near Charleston WVa ,the Georgia wood is noticably heavier.What gives?Thanks,Dave ???

Offline Swampwalker

Re: Diffferences in Walnut
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 11:36:03 PM »
Tree age, local growing conditions, genes, even which part of tree the wood is from can all afect the density of the wood.  Denser/heavier is usually better when it comes to stockwood.  Just be sure it's properly dried.
Good luck and have fun!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 11:51:09 PM »
I have worked walnut that varies from light brown tubular spongy junk to other piece that are dark, dark brown wood that is as hard and dense as sugar maple. Both black walnut.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:10:00 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 12:18:39 AM »
My own experiences with walnut are that it will range from Superb right down to lsomewhere under wretched. I am making a sorta/kinda N.Lewis type target rifle and this piece of walnut seems to be OK (maybe).

Bob Roller

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 12:27:34 AM »
Bob, I've had the same experience with maple, too. This is why it's best to get your wood in person. Or, second best, buy from a reputable dealer.

If you come to Dixon's this year, you can see lots of wood, heft it, roll it around in your hands.

Not too soon to think Dixon's....
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 12:41:48 AM »
Thanks to y'all;the plank we cut up yeilded 3 long stocks,and 2/3 pistol blanks.It is typical walnut to work.The wood has been air drying in a dry metal barn in gwinnette county,Ga for 20plus years.Most has been sold,I got this stuff last year,I worked for the owner for 10 years.The piece I am working has an incredible grain in the butt.As I figure out how to post pics,you can see what I mean.Am taking pics for a build series of pics.I have built several guns from precarves,this one is my first with a blank,thank God for Bob Walden and the skill in his hands.He is a great teacher,and I am truly blessed to have all you guys too.Thanks,Dave

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 04:24:16 AM »
The best walnut for color, hardness, (gun stock use) bar none is from the state of Iowa, USA AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 05:37:43 AM »
Hi AJ,
That is very interesting.  How did you determine that and why would Iowa grow the best black walnut?  You may very well be right but I am just curious.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Tony Clark

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »
Hi AJ,
That is very interesting.  How did you determine that and why would Iowa grow the best black walnut?  You may very well be right but I am just curious.

dave

The highest prices paid for walnut in the U.S. are from this and adjoining regions. this is some indication as to it's quality. Often times trees that are from a slower growing (colder)  regions produce higher quality wood. When I used to cut down in S.W WI log buyers would come from as far as out east to buy the logs on the landing. Some for as much as $7k per thousand bf.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 08:35:58 PM »
Hi y'all;I am currently building-with the help of my amigo BWalden,a long gun stocked in Georgia american black walnut,.In comparing the blank with one cut here near Charleston WVa ,the Georgia wood is noticably heavier.What gives?Thanks,Dave ???

Its wood. Its not steel or brass. Wild variations in density are common.
A tree grown on a dry hillside will likely be denser than one grown in a river bottom.
Some west coast maple is little better than box wood with curl.
This is why stock wood selection is so important.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine