Author Topic: Aging Brass  (Read 3803 times)

Rkymtn57

Aging Brass
« on: March 10, 2012, 05:58:19 PM »
Could I please get some help on techniques for aging brass parts to give them that beautiful worn look.

Offline Pete G.

Re: Aging Brass
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 06:13:15 PM »
Cold Blue and a polish with 0000 steel wool. Repeat as required until you get what you want.

MarkEngraver

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 07:13:43 PM »
I 2'nd the cold blue and steel wool treatment.
I prefer the  blueing paste as it doesn't run all over everything.
Or... just take those first black/dirty patches from cleaning and wipe them on to the brass to tarnish it.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 07:16:45 PM »
I like 2 methods. first is just wipe it down with a fouled cleaning patch when ya clean a bp firearm an second I like to use 44/40 instant blue. Just use it like Pete G. instructed ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Rkymtn57

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 07:25:31 PM »
Thank you all very much.   1st.build.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 07:49:59 PM »
If given a choice, I still like ammonia fumes..................Don

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 08:10:26 PM »
I have used the 44/40 etc.  and Ammonia fumes and I like the results with ammonia fumes best...I have a gas chamber (can) that I put a cotton ball soaked with amonia in and then suspend the brass parts in it and seal it up for about 4-6  hours. just be careful with thin brass and don't do it too long....brass gets brittle and will disintegrate..... as a few meth lab morons learned when they stored their ammonia in old bottled gas containers with brass valves..... Darwin Awards...
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Rkymtn57

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 09:18:41 PM »
Ammonia.....errrrr ahhhh.  Thanks Boone ..... The dirty swab sounds just fine.  :)
Maybe I'll run a test ....I'm already get lots of interesting results with aqua feris and stains
On wood scraps. Thank you all. Dennis

Rkymtn57

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 09:37:47 PM »
Fortis

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 10:46:15 PM »
Old trigger gaurds have a lot of little imperfections: little dents, scrapes, rounded edges......the use of a very small ball peen hammer enhances that aged look, just don't over do it...........