Author Topic: IT TURNED GREEN!!!!! PIC'S ADD  (Read 13870 times)

Offline A.Merrill

Re: IT TURNED GREEN!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 07:48:30 AM »
    Well, you guy's were right, it turn out nice. Trying to post some pic's but having a hard time.    AL

fixed, I hope (Rich Pierce, moderator)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:33:12 PM by rich pierce »
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: IT TURNED GREEN!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 05:37:14 PM »
Its just cause its got all that curl in it... :o   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

dagner

Re: IT TURNED GREEN!!!!! PIC'S ADD
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 08:22:17 AM »
 seen it a couple times . wipe it down again and get the air heat gun it will turn . use the low heat setting and do small areas at a time.the old indian  head auqufortis was made with some iron powder in it . it would give off a little  deeper reder color -straight from maufaturer and track
when feds shut them down couple of the top end gun makers around hear  started making their own and did find out slightly different color when iron added and dissolved  in  acid.
dag

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 06:52:16 PM »
Scary the first time you see it, but the heat will take care of it,  if I can add anything it would be to apply the heat in good light.   I did some nice maple for a non gun project late in the day last week,  i thought i was set and neutralized it, the next day in good light there still was a touch of green in a few spots, it went away with a second treatment.
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Andy S

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 10:47:11 PM »
My first project was stained only with aqua fortis. Turned it green like old pressure treated lumber, but the heat blushed out the stain perfectly. I tried it on a scrap first, thank goodness. I would have had a heart attack if I put it on the stock and got that green color!  :D

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »
    That's what I did, I tried it out on some scrap and it just had a very light greenish tint to it, just like I had seen before. Never seen one turn this green.
    I had to change my pants. ;D  But all things turned out nice.    AL
Alan K. Merrill