Author Topic: Single trigger set up/ pull weight  (Read 2864 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Single trigger set up/ pull weight
« on: March 17, 2012, 04:07:50 PM »
Current build is loosely based on early style southern rifle with English influence. I used Chambers round face and made a single trigger. I pinned trigger in the wood like a lot of originals and tried to locate the pin as high as practicle and as close to sear arm as possible. I was surprised when the moment of truth finally came after fitting everything together. I don't have an accurate trigger scale  but the little spring scale I used only pulls a few ounces before the sear trips. I got a little too agressive with the file when fitting up and have just a tiny bit of creep but I can probably live with it unless someone has an idea on how to cure it. 
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline coopersdad

Re: Single trigger set up/ pull weight
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 05:05:12 PM »
I did the same for mine and I thought something was wrong with the setup when I lightly touched the trigger and it went; my gauge shows about 1.5 lbs. Sear nose is fully engaged, and there is just a bit of slack between the sear bar and trigger, so no issue there. It won't trip when thumping the butt on a padded bench. I'd like it a bit harder, but it should be great for shooting.
Mike Westcott

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:10:56 PM »
On my last two triggers I put the pin 5/16" from and slightly above the sear. Trigger pull is 3# on both triggers with this set-up.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 05:45:48 PM »
I have found the same as Eric.  They work great for hunting and not bad for target shooting either.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 07:54:46 PM »
you could solder a shim to the edge of the plate,  hammer the edge thus raising it a bit or capture the sear bar completely with a drilled hole in the plate
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

chuck-ia

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 12:08:27 AM »
I think a lot of has to do with the way the lock is tuned, I just put my trigger in, the first time I put the pin through the trigger slightley above the sear arm and 3/8" from the contact point on the sear, trigger pull was very light and a very long trigger pull, (not acceptable) so I filed down the tumbler till it worked pretty good, except I didn't put the fly in the tumbler when testing it and broke the half cock notch in the tumbler. Ordered a new tumbler and sear from Track, put it in the lock and moved the hole through the trigger from 3/8" to around 1/2" (moved trigger ahead) might be a little stiff with very little creep. I will polish the contact points on the sear, tumbler yet. For me it seems it is a hit or miss. My other guns are about 1/4" to 3/8" from pin hole to sear arm and worked good the first time. The locks are deluxe silers. Looks like you guys did it right the first time. chuck-ia

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 07:48:36 PM »
You could shorten the arm of the sear spring just a touch. That will increase the pull weight which in itself might make the creep a little less noticeable.