Author Topic: Chunky Chunky  (Read 20416 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Chunky Chunky
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2012, 05:12:31 AM »
"Over powder patch?" Tell us more, Dan. What are you doing--just pushing another hunk of rag down barrel on top of the powder followed by the usual patched ball? Using a bore-sized wad of card/felt/shoe leather/plywood/al dente lasagne noodle? What? I was starting to toy with such an idea, but wondered if'n it be legal and proper and all...

BTW, this thread has been VERY helpful!

A bore sized wad, unless very thick felt, will not seal when its forced against the radius of the ball.
A patch, I use the same ones I patch the ball with, will protect the patch and may prevent blown patches.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

nugget1750

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2012, 06:21:24 AM »
Paul,________The patches look good .. except the ones using 80 & 85gr.....with the charges of 60-75 gr only a couple showed a thread torn at a land mark and those looked to be from sharp edge. I think you are right about shooting time will improve that issue. The working backwards therory about the adjustable chunk is very interesting. I will be trying that also.

Don,__________ The twist rate is 1 in 56"_______When I was just getting into muzzleloading everyone said 1 in 66 was "THE" roundball twist_________is that still the same thinkin' today???

Dphariss,_________about the 'over the powder' patch_______I have a .62 cal smoothbore that tightened up her group at 50y ds by 3" by putting a felt shotgun wad over the powder to protect the tic patch around the ball.....works great!

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2012, 03:39:14 PM »
1 in 56" is a great twist, have had some 45's that were awesome.    Many years ago we built a little rifle that we called
our "Sporter" rifle.   It had a pistol grip, a 28" tapered barrel, and a siler lock with the tail rounded.   Over a period of  years we made about 70 to 80 of these little things, called them a Pennsylvania deer rifle.   It had a rather straight comb
and we made a rear quarter rib, and a ramp front sight in order to get the sights high enough.   When we first started to
build these guns, I had a good piece of curly maple which I had shaped, and I built the gun with a (please forgive me)
percussion lock.   I grooved the rear rib and installed a 4 power weaver scope.  It had a 45 cal. barrel, 1/56" twist.  It was one of the most accurate muzzleloaders I have ever shot.   I used a .445 bal and about .018 thick wonder patches, and
would literally shoot one hole groups at 50 yards with 40 to 60 grains of FFF goex powder.    It didn't seem to matter how
much powder I used, it still shot good.   Actually, the 4 power scope was the main ingredient here, I could aim it well.  I
think any of you guys would be amazed at how well your gun would shoot is you had great sighting.  Try it sometime.
Don

Bill

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2012, 06:33:03 PM »
Around here, scopes being installed on CVA's and other traditional appearing muzzleloaders are quite popular. I remember seeing an old advertisement for Weaver scopes showing one of the company officers of Weaver with a very nice looking caplock w/ a Weaver scope installed. I think it was from the late 40's or 50's.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2012, 03:38:07 AM »

Like this? Traditional stainless steel roundball bench rifle with traditional Fecker scope.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

dagner

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2012, 06:03:19 AM »
 kermit -- you sure know how to make a man drool.one great gun
dag