Author Topic: Potassium permanganate turn a stock green also?  (Read 6356 times)

Dave K

Potassium permanganate turn a stock green also?
« on: March 11, 2012, 07:51:33 PM »
Didn't want to really hi-jack the other thread. I used this on my first gun, as it seemed to be the stuff to use at the time. It gave a very nice look to the wood. BUT, it wasn't a lasting color. It seemed as if the sun worked on it and eventually it almost all looked washed out. I had several items stained with this. No more. I stripped them all and stained them, which for me was Homer Danglers Stains. I have been happy ever since. But, no more potassium permanganate for me.

greybeard

Re: Potassium permanganate turn a stock green also?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 09:28:34 PM »
Potassium permanganate goes on purple and changes to brown as it dries.  Fades after a few yrars.  Bob Reader

Offline HIB

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 12:05:45 AM »
Gentlemen, My first build used PP as the stain. Got the info from one of the early how to books [1960's]. The gun did turn green and my son now uses it in the pine forests of western NC. He has done well with it but definitely gets some strange looks.

I checked the other day and found drug stores no longer carry PP and it has taken a real bad rap as a useful medicine. I still have three 55 year old pills if someone wants them. The green stock story brought back great memories. Thanks,  HIB

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:08:03 AM »
I think you can still get it in hardware stores for some reason, but I don't remember what.  Maybe something to do with plumbing or septic systems?

You can actually get some really nice colors with it, but as noted above, it will generally either go green on you or will fade rapidly as soon as it's exposed to any degree of sunlight.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Dave K

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 12:24:51 AM »
It is used in iron filters. So yes the hardware store or the plumbers have it.

Vomitus

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:18:38 AM »
Put a few drops of India ink with it.

Offline FALout

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 03:36:11 AM »
I've used it on lots of projects, never had it turn green.  Funny how it can stain your fingers for days on end, but can sometimes not hardly stain some wood.  Not really worth trying unless someone gives the stuff to you, I wouldn't pay for it knowing what I now know.  BTW, I was given the Pot.Per. by an old gunsmith.
Bob

Offline DutchGramps

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 11:48:21 AM »
When living in Africa, my wife used it to wash the vegetables in it to get rid of little snails and other nasty animals. No problem with the colour, everything was already green... ;D
Real bikes are kick-started....

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 04:26:12 PM »
Potassium permanganate, KMnO4, is an oxygen donor, otherwise known as an oxidizing agent.  When it donates oxygen it turns to Manganese oxide, MnO2, which is green.  So, it depends on just what is available in the wood to be oxidized and to what extent the oxidation occurs before the reaction grinds to a halt.  Potassium permanganate does react in the wood and that reaction will decrease the intensity of the color it originally imparted.  Other manganese compounds are black and brownish in color so your color may vary.

Potassium permanganate is also mildly poisonous.  It is far more hazardous than the traditional acid iron oxide systems one hears about more frequently on this forum.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

NSBrown

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 05:48:58 PM »
Falout noted that he received his Potassium Pemanganate from an "old gunsmith". Was it used for anyother gunbuilding process? If it is so unpredictable as a stock stain, when and why did builders start using it? Why is it still being used?

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 06:37:11 PM »
It may not be the best stock stain, but it works great to stop the effects of poison-ivy.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 08:16:57 PM »
It became fairly popular for staining among the 'home crafters' ca. 1950s through 1970s.  Semi-useful for small wood projects that would never see the outdoors or adverse environmental conditions, much like potassium dichromate.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

NSBrown

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 10:28:38 PM »
Thanks Eric, that makes sense. Green stock posting appear about once a year and I've wondered why it continues to happen...particularly when I've never known it to be cited as a method used by original builders.

Vomitus

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 09:33:55 AM »
Taxidermists use it to bring a rich brown back to "whited out" antler. They also add a few drops of pure black india ink to the mix.

Offline kutter

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 01:39:26 AM »
I've only ever used it as a stain for Walnut. Works great for that and your fingers.
It does go on the wood purple,,but then turns a nice med to deep brown color. No heat needed as in AF treatment.

Heavy purple colored crystals are usually in the hardware section of HomeDepot and Sears type stores.
They are used in water systems to regenerate iron removal filters. Comes in plastic jars now.
A small 6oz jar will last a long time.

A table spoon of the crystals in a cup of water is about the mix I have always used. Nothing fancy about it.
Remember that it is a water-based stain and will raise the grain.

Once mixed,,it lasts forever it seems. I've got a small jar mixed up under the bench that's been there for the last 8 or 10 years probably and still works fine.
I like it for touch up work in restoration especially.

Get it on anything,,clothes, furniture, rugs, etc,,and it's there for eternity.

I've read that it somehow rusts and pits steel that comes into contact with wood stained with it.
I've used it for 30+ years and never saw any such rust. Mostly used it on pistol grips, but some rifle and shotgun stocks too. Many of those I've had occasion to re-examine over the years and have seen no rust.

A furniture maker type did tell me it made his maple stuff look green especially when viewed under florescent lights. But as I said, I've never used it on anything but Walnut.

It'll stain leather nicely too like everything else it touches. A little mixed up in some cool water and soak the leather piece in it and let dry naturally. I don't know if the Permanganate does anything to leather but I know a couple of people that use the stuff.

Just an extra trick in the bag to try when the other jars of stain in the row don't seem to work right or you want something a bit different.

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 01:24:35 AM »
Neutralize it with baking soda after application, should take care of the green problem.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana