Author Topic: RCA-19 Fantasy Rifle  (Read 7702 times)

Offline t.caster

RCA-19 Fantasy Rifle
« on: March 17, 2012, 03:39:31 AM »
Just finished this project for Gene Carrell down in Indiana! The real RCA-19 is a long barreled smoothbore, but we liked the style....an early American made with a lot of German influence, and attributed to Wolfgang Haga/Hachen. Well, Gene had this cool .62 x 33" Hoyt barrel with gain twist. So we said ....what if this was the next rifle off his bench (RCA-19 1/2). The result could be one of those transitional missing links between a Jaeger and a longrifle. The brass parts all had to be heavily modified. Side plate is cut from 1/8" sheet brass, as always. Wood patchbox is one piece of wood as is my custom. Drop and pull are made to fit Gene's dimensions taken from my "try-stock". This has a beautiful balance for offhand shooting and HUNTING! Oh, and the American walnut was cut into a plank and dried about 45 yrs. ago. This is the 4th rifle I've gotten from that plank, and I sold another piece to Michigan Flinter for his Jaeger!

http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa43/REXTHOMAS2/RCA%2019%20RIFLE%202011/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:36:17 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: RCA-19 Fantasy Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 03:52:00 AM »
Very neatly made rifle, Tom.   It's sure got the look of a killer hunting rifle.  What's she got for rear sights?
When I first opened the page, I thought, "cherry".  I like the new right off the bench look on this one.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 04:22:14 AM »
Thanks, it has a jaeger single leaf rear sight.
There is a link to the Photobucket album for this gun just below the pic.
Tom C.

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 04:28:35 AM »
It looks like I am going to  go to Canada for another bear hunt. Tom built me a beauty and a hunter it will be.
Gene

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 04:34:21 AM »
Tom that is a beauty for sure!!  I love the early styling and simple decoration.  That has to be the orangiest black walnut I have ever seen.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 02:42:24 PM »
Classic!! The Moose will just lie down and die!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 12:44:13 AM »
Yep, any critter will be proud to be shot by that rifle!!  Well done.  I have a d weight 54cal barrel been thinking along the same idea.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 03:35:09 AM »
Tom they just keep getting better everytime you make one! Sure is a great looking rifle.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 04:15:09 PM »
Need more pictures!   :)  Looks great.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Glenn

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 04:32:14 PM »
Nice rifle.  It turned out great.  I like the stain color as it seems to suit this particlar style just right.   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 04:13:46 AM »
Several of you mentioned stain color and it really isn't orange, it must have been the lighting. Although the cheek side is lighter than the rest of the gun.
I did use L.M. Honey Maple and Walnut stains on it.
Tom C.

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 10:02:18 PM »
Wow Tom!! Very nice. I was looking at the photos of your gun here on Photobucket and my wife walk behind me and came to a screeching halt and said "wow,,, I really like that and she pointed at how you executed the volute  behind the cheek piece so I showed her the photo where you had the RCA book behind it and she was even more impressed. DANG!!! I don't even get those reactions. Soooooo, when do you fire it for the first time?
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 01:57:13 AM »
As usual, beautiful rifle there Tom! I like the overall "girth" of this piece. Looks like it will draw up and shoulder comfortably and shoot a stout load without fear of recoil bruises. :D
Joel Hall

Offline t.caster

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 07:31:30 PM »
Thanks everyone! I plan to shatter the silence with her TONIGHT!
Tom C.

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »
Niiiiiiice! Keep us posted on how it"speaks" to the target with its commanding voice.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline t.caster

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »
Oh, it speaks with Authority! I should have taken my hearing aid out before I started! I found a way to silence all the neighborhood barking dogs too! Most dogs don't like a thunderstorm. They either went cowering back into there doghouses, or their owners brought them in the house for protection. Hey, I was a safe distance back in my woods!
Anyway, it performed flawlessly from the git-go! Of course sight will need to be adjusted and filed to sight it in. The Chambers Germanic lock was QUICK, as was ignition through the wite-litenin .059" bore, 5/16" touchole. The manual trigger was just right for me. I used the same load I use in my Getz barreled Jaeger... .600rb/.020 buttered patch/65gr 2F Goex BP. It started and went down very easily, and I never swabbed the bore while shooting 15 shots. I would suggest a .610 ball in this Hoyt barrel. I fired one shot w/110grs of powder, and no problem...no soreness at all in my cheekbone today!
Shooting off a rickety sawhorse while kneeling on one knee (a poor setup) at 25 yds. it shot a cloverleaf of 6 shots at 1.20" center/center at the widest. If it was to be mine, I would widen the notch in the rear sight and I need to get new glasses soon too, but I digress..
This barrel cleaned up real easy!

All in all it was a blast to shoot! Maybe that's why the guys call em "Caster Blasters"  :D
Tom C.