Author Topic: Lehigh type PB release spring.  (Read 7333 times)

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Lehigh type PB release spring.
« on: March 24, 2012, 07:09:51 PM »
Okay, so I'm getting lazy in my old age. I hate making these things. Does anyone know of a source for ready made release springs- the kind that stick out the back of the butt plate?   Thanks.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Lehigh type PB release spring.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 07:33:22 PM »
Find an old rose head (if you want a bigger button) or flat cut nail and beat the $#@* out of it until it's work hardened.  File to taste.  Done.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »
I once used a 20 penny nail and one other time I used the hinge pin from an interior door hinge. Both worked fine after using the treatment that Eric describes (split the back part with a hack saw blade). No need harden.
Dennis
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:54:42 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 04:03:03 AM »
Thanks Eric and Dennis. Yeah, that's how I make them. I broke down and did it today.  I've seen so many original late period pieces where the release springs look so much alike that I wonder if they bought them ready made. I would if they were available.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 05:09:46 PM »
Go to the Lehigh Warehouse. They also have patchboxes, sights, brass castings. While you're in the neighborhood, stop in at the Christians Spring Gunshop and Supply and Ale House.

There may have been call once upon a time for batches of springs to be made. But the market today is so small, it's not worth tooling up for. Nate, I think you're stuck making your own, at least until this flintlock technology becomes popular.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 05:45:10 PM »
Great idea! I went to the "Bedford Wharehouse" last fall and got the stuff for my next gun. Need to get to Tennessee so I can build another Southern gun.

All kidding aside,I too am getting a little lazy in my "Not so young"age,but once I start to hammer on something,it's good.
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 09:56:03 PM »
Hmmm when putting the wide plank yellow pine flooring in my shop with square cut topnails... I had to buy the minimum  25#  Only used about 8 -10#   so I will test them out...If they work I have a lifetime supply for the ALR..... it maybe one of those for the price of the postage things...
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

The other DWS

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »
Could some one post a pic of one?
  I'm new enough to this that I have never built a rifle with a patchbox, (mostly french type trade guns) and this whole spring and latch business is a puzzle to me.

The project I am currently working on will use a very simple side hinged PBox as a back-country repair for a lost sliding wood cover and the catch/latch for it has me baffled. 

Or better yet, do we have a patchbox tutorial on the site somewhere?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 07:10:14 PM »
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=7090.0

This tutorial features one Lehigh rifle after a fellow named Jacob Kuntz.  But the originals that I studied were likely made in Philadelphia, on the Lehigh design, by an Allentown maker.

Other patch box release mechanisms use a spring that exits through the butt plate, with or without a bulbous external knob.  The for'd end of the spring, inside the box, is driven into the stock wood .
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 06:25:05 PM »
Here is a different twist on a Lehigh release that is interesting.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 07:40:15 PM »
No doubt that thing had a red varnish.  Wow.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 07:22:50 AM »
Dave B. That's a really neat release. Is there a name on that rifle?

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 01:14:28 PM »
Is the release button on the top of the buttplate? I am having trouble seeing exactly how that one releases.
That is a neat release idea.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 03:20:35 PM »
No, the release operator tab extends out the back of the buttplate. See the dogleg in the spring? That's part catch and part operator.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »
Heeeey, I've seen a couple like that before, it is a really nifty and effective way to do things, although honestly I think it's probably the same amount of work as a typical 'Lehigh' spring.  Those that I have seen like this were actually NE Berks, up along the mountain...  this kind of looks like that to me, or maybe the upper townships in NW Lehigh.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline deano

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 03:53:43 PM »
Hi Dave, not to hijack this thread...but maybe you could share some more pictures of the red varnished rifle with the neat PB release in another post? The couple of pictures scream to see more.

Thanks,

Ken