Author Topic: The way a lock should work!  (Read 4833 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
The way a lock should work!
« on: March 22, 2012, 12:21:47 AM »
It just came home. I sent my Davis Twigg lock to Bob Roller, for his magic touch.  What a make-over!  The lock is now silky smooth, no stack, dead stop at full bent with no over-travel, and now, the sear arm does not hang down below the plate.  There is no visible evidence that he has filled screw holes.
I'm just delighted!!  I see a big bored English sporting rifle in the future.

Thank you Bob!!

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Swampwalker

Re: The way a lock should work!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 12:59:41 AM »
Looks good, Taylor.  The only concern I have is the large difference in position of the sear at uncocked verses full cock positon, which would seem to require the use of a feather sping on the trigger.  Is this a concern, or is the modern penchant for one position sears overblown?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 01:24:58 AM »
Taylor,
Thanks for the nice comments on the Twigg remake. A lightly sprung trigger is not uncommon on English styled guns. I can do the one position sear and have on the 4 screw caplocks from time to time. A set trigger either double or single can be used as well. I prefer NO set trigger on any rifle
I did fill the screw holes by screwing in threaded studs made of 12L14 and then swaged them with a flat ended punch and my machinist hammer. File them down a bit and polish the areas and the plate is ready for a new mechanism, I don't understand why the maker of this elegant lock doesn't excersize a bit of quality control on them. It has real potential as has been proven if made with a precise set of parts.
Thanks again for the posted pictures and the good comments. Sounds like a satisfied customer to me.
I saw your post about being "blessed" with four more inches of snow and we have 87 degrees here right now and I used the air condtioner in the car for the past three days.{:^)

Bob Roller

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 01:33:07 AM »
Regarding the weather, Bob...you must think I'm pretty gullible to believe that all your snow is gone!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 04:36:44 AM »
We have bets going that the ice will be gone from the Lake tomorrow.  99% we'll win.  Earliest I've ever seen break up here!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 05:43:43 AM »
Taylor,
At 87 degrees.the snow is GONE but our local weather guy  says it will be back and maybe some in April. I have argued for years that Honolulu proves a lifetime can be lived without snow or ice. This extreme heat we are having now is causing premature greening of trees and I was looking at the huge oak in our back yard and it is starting to green up a bit.
We shall see what develops.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 05:58:35 AM »
Pending the outcome of the CT scan on the 23rd,I may offer this remake service on this lock. Probably the cost will be about $165 on a customer furnished lock and $235 if I have to buy the external parts. That group of ten that I recently finished were $300 apiece and oddly enough,they sold fast.
Davis has agreed to sell me whatever I need for these locks because I am not trying to compete with them.

Bob Roller

greybeard

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 07:27:08 PM »
Bob;   Very well done and I really like how, if the stirrup should let go, on full bent, it is captured by the tumbler as a good lock should.
Bob Reader

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 10:24:37 PM »
Bob,
That is an old idea and I try to use it on all my locks. The link that was in the lock as Taylor sent it to me was a skimpy thing. My original idea was to perhaps make replacement mainsprings for these lock but I was not convinced that the stock link was up to the job.
I remember only one of my links breaking and that was years ago in the shop. I never have figured out what caused it beyond defective material. Parts breakage on my locks is not a common thing,possible but not common. Anything made by the hand of a man is subject to failure at any time and I try to make sure it is rare with my locks and triggers.
Thank you for the nice comments on Taylor's lock.

Bob Roller

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 07:43:17 PM »
Big bored English Sporting rifle, eh - well aren't you lucky! - by fall, Jason, at Rice Barrels, tells me he should have a nice tight 15 bore barrel for you and I - and we both already have the round ball moulds 'in stock'.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:44:03 PM by Daryl »