Author Topic: hammer removal  (Read 2679 times)

Offline horseman

hammer removal
« on: April 01, 2012, 01:59:54 AM »
  I am trying to remove the hammer from an M/G flint lock.  I know enough not to pry on it, but what can I do to get it out and off the plate?  Thank you for your help.  Bud.

Daryl

Re: hammer removal
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 02:36:09 AM »
Use a proper sized drift in the screw hole, just clearing the threads - holding the lock in your palm, tap on the drift and it will drive the tumbler off the cock. That is the way I do it - after breaking one with the pry method that had worked before on cheap production locks with coil springs and loose hammers.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 03:23:03 AM »
    An even better way is to make a square punch that is just a bit smaller than the square in the hammer.  You then support the lock plate on each side of the tumbler on the inside and drive the tumbler shaft down through the lock plate and thus off the hammer.  This is what Jim Chambers recommends.  On a really tight hammer to tumbler fit the drift in the screw hole can break off the tumbler shaft.
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 04:09:51 AM »
You also need to remove the main spring, any bridle, and at least the sear spring, so you can pull the sear out of the way..  A piece of 1/4" key stock about 3 or 4 inches long, make a good drift.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline horseman

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 04:25:34 AM »
 Gentlemen, I thank you for your help.  The lock has everything off but the hammer.  I don't have a drift or brass.  However, I'm head up the road for HomeDepot and will look for something there.  Again, thank you all.  Bud.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 06:34:27 AM »
I second this way to remove the hammer - I did break the tumbler shaft using a punch inside the tumbler hole.
    An even better way is to make a square punch that is just a bit smaller than the square in the hammer.  You then support the lock plate on each side of the tumbler on the inside and drive the tumbler shaft down through the lock plate and thus off the hammer.  This is what Jim Chambers recommends.  On a really tight hammer to tumbler fit the drift in the screw hole can break off the tumbler shaft.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb