Author Topic: Patchbox without a spring?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Scota4570

Patchbox without a spring?
« on: February 25, 2015, 07:57:08 PM »
Did they always use a spring on metal patchboxes? 

I have the wood in front of the hinge side of the lid the tiniest bit high.  IT springs up the lid enough that the lid pops up about 1/4" when I press the release.  The lid is working as it's own spring.  It does not effect the fit of the lit against the brass side pieces.  Do I need to install a spring? 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Patchbox without a spring?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:08:40 PM »
My only thought is that the lid is being stressed every time it's in the closed position. This could eventually lead to stress cracks. Maybe not in your lifetime. Brass can be used as a spring, which is kinda what's going on with your box lid.

Why put a spring in if the lid pops reliably? If you're willing to take your chances with the possible stress cracking, don't put a spring in.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:12:52 PM »
I like a spring that pops the box lid open almost all the way.  Wood moves with moisture changes and I'm not sure if I would count on it being reliable.  I would use a spring.

Jim

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 12:03:15 AM »
I also prefer a patch box lid that pops all the way open. That way, when walking in the bush and the lit pops open, all your 'stuff' is in one spot, not spread along the trail.  One pile of 'stuff' makes it easier to find. ::)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 12:07:35 AM »
Making and then installing the kicker spring is a great project that yields great satisfaction.  Are you in a hurry?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.