Author Topic: Convex Plane, a new thread on the subject  (Read 4471 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Convex Plane, a new thread on the subject
« on: April 03, 2012, 06:25:42 AM »
There was recently another post on the subject that apparently got deleted, so I thought I would post some pics of the one I doctored up a few weeks ago.  I purchased the plane body in a junk shop for ten bucks, and I had a set of plane irons that came in a toolbox full of old files, blades and misc items purchased at another shop previously.  I ground one of the set of irons to match the body as well as I could.   The handle was about to fall off so I repaired it as well.  I have yet to use it, if it works well I may spruce it up a bit.

Curtis
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:26:46 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline rickw

Re: Convex Plane, a new thread on the subject
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 06:43:32 AM »
Interesting!
Could you show us a close-up shot of the marking on the toe of the plane, taken straight on?
It looks like an early mark, but I can't quite read the name. Is it C:COLE?, G:COLE?, or something else?
Rick W

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 06:49:17 AM »
Rick,

It says C: COLI: .  I think it is the only marking on the plane body.

Is it familiar to anyone?

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline rickw

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 07:07:04 AM »
Curtis,
Thanks for the additional picture.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything close in either of my references of British or American plane makers. The closest I came was a E. Cole of Bristol, England, about which no information has been discovered.Perhaps C:COLI was the owner, who might also have made the plane? Just guessing here.
The plane looks early, maybe 18th century, and the marking style fits in with that as well.
Hopefully, someone else more knowledgeable than I will have an answer.
Rick

lafreniere

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:43:37 PM »
C:COLI: I think that could be the name of the person the plane was built for.

At least it's not ECOLI  :o
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:45:46 PM by lafreniere »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 04:09:42 PM »
Looks like C:COL.I:  Maybe it was the builders web site address (early form)  ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

NSBrown

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 05:20:15 PM »
It sure looks like  C:COLE to me. I think I see the top serif on the "E" tipped down and the bottom serif tipped up.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 05:31:07 PM »
I see COLE on my monitor as well.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 08:07:18 PM »
I'll try to remember and look at it with some magnification this evening to see if that last letter is an "E" or an "I".
Curtis Allinson

Offline danmart77

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 10:58:38 PM »
Curtis
I have a couple planes like this. I use them for aggresive stock removal. For the most part, I use them to flatten out pine blanks for my windsor chair seats. Many of the old seat bottoms had the concave planing grooves in the  bottom of the seats. They didn't take a smoother to the surface that would not be seen.

This will be a "workhorse" when its tuned up so get the handle set just right. Good luck.
dan

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 05:34:42 AM »
Thanks for the info, danmart77.  Some of you guys have really great eyes. ::)   I think the COLE votes win!  I put it under some magnification and bumped up the quality on my camera, here is what I got:

I also took some magnified shots of the markings on the blade I used.  Again, the blade is not original to the plane but came in some scrap I purchased.  It appears German in origin to me, perhaps rickw could see if he as a reference to the maker of the blade.

Curtis
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:35:39 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline rickw

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 07:00:50 AM »
Thanks for the beautifully clear pictures of the markings on the plane and the iron.
I read the markings on the blade as "Gebr[uder] Lindenberg & Co" over "Gussstahl". I don't know much German, but that translates to "Lindenberg Brothers and Company" over "Cast Steel"
I looked at two online references for German toolmakers, and didn't come up with a match, either by the name or by the trademark (the three bells).
Hopefully, someone else will know more.
Rick