Author Topic: what tool to use  (Read 3152 times)

Luke

what tool to use
« on: April 16, 2012, 02:01:14 AM »
good day guys,i know this is going to sound like a dumb question,but bare with me,having trouble getting the wrist rounded like it should be,what tool would help,thanks luke

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: what tool to use
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:27:35 AM »
I use a combination of half round and round files and rasps.  I also made myself a radius gage many years ago from a scrap of wood to aid in rounding forestocks and wrists.  I took a piece of scrap wood about 2" x 4" by 1/8" thick and laid out and cut a radius in each corner.  Sizes were 1", 1 1/4", 1 3/8" and 1 1/2".  These sizes have served me well for many years.  As you rasp and file just keep checking the area you are shaping with the gage.  You can make them any size that suits you.  Even after building many many guns I still need to use this gage to ensure I don't end up with flat sided radius's.
Dave

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:36:04 AM »
Dave has it right.  the process I follow is once you have roughed it out with the band saw I use planes and spoke shaves to work it down to small facits then step over to the #49 cabinet makers rasp. befor finding that sharp planes and spokeshaves worked so well I was a Sure form guy. I still will break them out on occasion. I like the half round and the round versions. never had much use for the flat one but on odd occasions.
Dave Blaisdell

Luke

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 04:30:39 AM »
thanks dave, and dave,im learning thanks a bunch

Joe S

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »
Get a contour gauge from your local hardware store.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 06:49:02 PM »
I use one of those gages. I push it on the wrist to get the contour, for example, then turn it 180 degrees and check the wrist again(without pushing down to change the gage). This will show up any imbalance of symmetry.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »
I'm gonna get me one of those, Never thought of that.