Author Topic: Magnet and non magnetic stainless steel  (Read 5819 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Magnet and non magnetic stainless steel
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:54:13 PM »
I recently ordered some White Lightening Vent Liners from Chambers. When putting them away I still had a couple fo WL liners that I purchased eslewhere. I bumped the older liners into my scriber with the magnet head and wam they stuck like glue. The Chambers liners were unaffected, which is what I expected from Stainless. The old ones are indeed stainless of some kind they don't brown.  ???

My question is which is the best for vent liners the magnetic stainless steel or the non-magnetic stainless steel, or doen't it matter? I thought all stainless was non-magnetic. My refrigerator front won't take frige magnets. :-\

Offline halfstock

Re: Magnet and non magnetic stainless steel
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:10:46 PM »
High carbon content affects magnetic's.

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:10:43 AM »
Non magnetic stainless is the 300 series and magnetic is 400 series. Halfstock is right- the 400 stainless has carbon that makes it heat treatable for hardness, the 300's don't. The 300's are more stainless generally than the 400's, both could make a good vent liner. Anyhow, that's what I think I know about that!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:32:00 AM »
Non magnetic stainless is the 300 series and magnetic is 400 series. Halfstock is right- the 400 stainless has carbon that makes it heat treatable for hardness, the 300's don't. The 300's are more stainless generally than the 400's, both could make a good vent liner. Anyhow, that's what I think I know about that!

Carbon is not magnetic.
Magnetic stainless has more IRON in it then non-magnetic.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 03:41:50 AM »
I am under the assumption that magnetic and non-magnet stainless steel
is related to amount of nickle in the alloy.  The more nickle, the lass magnetic. :) Tim

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 04:36:43 AM »
As Dan said it the iron in the stainless that is magnetic. It is my understanding that all heat treatable stainless has iron and carbon. I should check my steel books to be sure. I don't think the 300 series stainless steels have any iron in them at all, therefore they technically aren't even steel though we call it stainless "steel". The 300 series stainless would probably stand more erosion from flame than the others but would also gall easier on installation if a lube wasn't used. The iron content is also the reason most all but 300 series stainless will rust or stain, 300 will stain only if in contact with carbon steel.
Mark Poley
Mark Poley

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 04:57:45 AM »
White Lightnings are made of 303.

Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 05:02:07 AM »
Stainless Steel - Grade 303

Chemical Formula

Fe, <0.15% C, 17-19% Cr, 8-10% Ni, <2% Mn, <1% Si, <0.2% P, >0.15%S

All stainless has some iron IIRC but the non-magnetic alloys have a small enough percentage that they will not attract a magnet. Or if so only very slightly.

Dn

Dave Faletti

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 08:05:09 AM »
Differences in crystal and/or atomic structure determine whether iron is magnetic or not.  The percentage of iron in a steel alloy will make a difference but it isn't the dominant factor for the night and day difference with some alloys.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »
Iron is magnetic as well as nickel.  It is the atomic structure of the material that determines whether it is magnetic.  Increased nickel content stabilizes and contributes to an austenitic structure.  Austenite is non-magnetic.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 04:41:32 PM »
So thats how that works. Magic through chemistry.
I was wondering how they made the FE non-magnetic.

Dan

Bennypapa

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 05:01:54 PM »
I don't think the 300 series stainless steels have any iron in them at all, therefore they technically aren't even steel though we call it stainless "steel".
Mark Poley
I don't think that is correct. Here are a couple of steel grade guides that quote chemistry. They show that many stainless steels are about 70% iron.
http://www.onlinemetals.com/stainlessguide.cfm
http://www.mcmaster.com/#=h4prms

As stated it is the structure of the steel that determines magnetism.

But back on topic, I can't see how magnetism could affect function as a vent liner. You'd be better served paying attention to the hardenability of the alloy than the magnetism. You wouldn't want an alloy that could be cold hardened so much that it becomes brittle.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 05:11:40 PM »

You wouldn't want an alloy that could be cold hardened so much that it becomes brittle.

There in lies another problem.
But apparently its minor.

But then few liners are installed with a clean out opposite them that allows looking at the INSIDE of the liner.

I made one with a thicker wall....
Dan

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 08:57:34 PM »
Read all about it here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel