Author Topic: Please spread the word...  (Read 6228 times)

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
Please spread the word...
« on: April 17, 2012, 05:45:30 PM »
I am in need of help this week.  I know this may seem like common knowledge to all of you but I must ask that you please spread this knowledge on to others.   :)

When browning a lock (i.e. rusting metal parts) please make sure that you take the lock completely apart and brown each piece individually.  Reasoning being if you brown the lock fully assembled with all the screws in place and parts touching each other a bad, bad thing happens - all the parts and screws rust together and you can no longer get the lock to function nor any of the screws to come out.  It's funny how rust has a binding affect on moving parts.   :o  The only way to save a lock after this has been done is to carefully drill out each screw and replace them with new ones.  The top jaw screw must be cut out and replaced.  Then sand blast the parts that must have a smooth bearing surface and re-polish them.  Finally a heavily layer of grease must be applied to all the working parts. 

So please pass along this information to anyone who you know that might ever contemplate browning a lock.  It sure will save them lots of headaches in the future, and also save them the cleaning fee we are now implementing for locks that get returned to us for repairs in this condition. 

Thank you all for your help!   ;D
Barbie Chambers
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline t.caster

Re: Please spread the word...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:15:13 PM »
I'm guessing you wouldn't be posting this, unless someone did it! ::)
Tom C.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:17:04 PM »
I'm guessing you wouldn't be posting this, unless someone did it! ::)

Oh, I'm afraid I wouldn't be posting this unless multiple people have done it.  One I can educate, a whole bunch - I need help!   ;D
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline Ezra

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:20:01 PM »

Oh dear...  ::)

Ez
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:20:31 PM by Ezra »
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 09:26:03 PM »
I am actually amazed at how many folks are afraid/reluctant to take a lock apart.

Offline bgf

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 10:10:12 PM »
I am actually amazed at how many folks are afraid/reluctant to take a lock apart.

That is probably the root of the problem.  It is a little scary the first time, but once you realize that the parts number is small and they only go together one way, it is actually fun.  On the other hand, I have a late Ketland right now that I don't think even needs "tuning", but it will have to come apart for finish and just because I've never had one before, so I might have to call Barbie soon, probably to order a fly, if I get too cocky :).

WV_Mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 11:54:34 PM »
Sounds like it might be a good topic for a tutorial.

Offline JDK

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 12:49:49 AM »
No disrespect Stephen, but do we really have to get that far down in the weeds here?

IMHO nobody who owns, let alone tries to build, a flint gun...or percussion for that matter....should do so without first learning something as basic as this.

The tutorial section would be awful full if we posted every nuance contained in every basic longrifle construction book.

Maybe that's why we haven't seen new building book in years or reprints for that matter.....what's the motivation to go to all the expense of publishing one.

Heck, how are most of us inletting a lock?  Been discussed....most disassemble it.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.  J.D.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:18:31 AM by JDK »
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 01:37:29 AM »
Just to look at the flip side of the coin, when someone starts out building rifles, they often don't have a clue. This is not their fault, it's just such a daunting amount of skills and knowledge to learn, that one is bound to make mistakes. It comes with the territory.

I've been there plenty of times. Still find myself there when I tread in new territory.

Being in manufacturing, I understand Barbie's frustration.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Old Salt

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 02:57:14 AM »

Or how often you read the recommendation to "send the lock back to Chambers, T/C etc" at the first sign of a problem.  

As a person interested in the hobby of ML I want to learn how the parts work.  I'd like to learn to solve some of the problems on my own.    
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:58:05 AM by Leo in PA »

Offline JDK

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 08:23:43 PM »
I did an internet search and found sources with dock disassembly instructions including both Davis' and L&R's sights.  They are mainly text with pictures of locks with the all the parts labeled.

Barbie, perhaps you guys could post something like that on your sight too.....but better.

J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline JDK

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 08:36:20 PM »
Here you go:  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6726.msg63334#msg63334

Knew we had been down this road a few times before.  Now, if we just had pictures.  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
I have often thought an exploded view of a lock would be a nice addition to the Chambers site. I don't need one now but it sure would have been handy the first time I took my Deluxe Siler apart, put the parts in a bin and came back to it months later scratching my head about what went where.

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 09:27:04 PM »
I have often thought an exploded view of a lock would be a nice addition to the Chambers site. I don't need one now but it sure would have been handy the first time I took my Deluxe Siler apart, put the parts in a bin and came back to it months later scratching my head about what went where.

I think you guys are correct.  I've got a lot of maintenance that needs to be done to the webpage so I will add this to the list.  I'm hoping to have it revamped by June.   ;)
Barbie Chambers-Phillips