Author Topic: Anvil  (Read 5068 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Anvil
« on: April 15, 2012, 10:22:44 PM »
Spent friday and sat. as historic interperator in blacksmith shop. I worked mostly as the master smiths helper. Great fun. Most of the day yesterday spent keeping the fire clean and at welding heat for the smith. Great workout on the large original bellows. When I lay down last night on my pillow I could still hear that forge breathing!
One of my friends had evidently heard me complain about my dead chinese anvil at home and showed up with a very nice Peter Wright. I told him I probably couldn't afford it. He said I definately could and as long as I used it it was mine! Great day!
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Scott Bumpus

Re: Anvil
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 04:04:23 AM »
Great Day indeed.  Show us some pics of what comes off that anvil please!!
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

dannybb55

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »
Peter Wright's are sweet, I used one for years. How big is she? Where is the Forge?

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:47:04 PM »
Sounds like an offer you can't refuse. But I know nothing about anvils. Are these antique or what makes them better than any other anvil?  ???

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:49:59 PM »
Peter Wright is marked 1-1-7 which would mean one hundredweight (equals 112 US pounds), one quarter weight (which is 1/4 of 112=28lbs.) and the seven is simple pounds (7 lbs.) so it should weigh 112+28+7=147 lbs. I carted it out to the forge yesterday and sat it on the stump. I spent a while tapping the dead anvil and then this Peter Wright. Wow, can't wait to use it!
 Not a lot of serious work comes out of the interperative shop. With school classes they typically have a limited amount of time and most of that is spent fielding questions. Decorative iron"leaves" are a good project that can be started and finished in a few minutes while explanations are given and questions answered. I've made a few fire steels,fire sets, meat forks,made and repaired forge tools etc..., while there. It's also a good place to practice my forge welding. The forge has a nice deep pot and is easier to get a welding heat than in my little rivet forge. I mostly try to be a good apprentice and keep plenty of coal in the hopper and the clinkers out of the fire and my hand on the bellows lever.
 The forge is located at Heritage Farm Village near Huntington,WV. If you are ever in the area check it out. They have an amazing collection and offer guided tours. You can find them on the web search for heritage farm museum village.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

dannybb55

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 11:55:29 PM »
Sounds like an offer you can't refuse. But I know nothing about anvils. Are these antique or what makes them better than any other anvil?  ???
P W was a big name in anvils in Great Britain. They used an excellent grade of wrought iron and had a hard face. They were also under warranty. A Peter Wright was good for as long as P W stayed in business. That was known as a lifetime warranty in the 19th century, the same one that Rolls Royce uses, and Hundstedt. That being said, a Fisher is better but the London anvils are easier on the eyes. Mine is a Queen Dudley, another London marketed anvil.

Offline kentucky bucky

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 06:14:44 AM »
I have a 102 lb Peter Wright that I bought off of an Amish man near here. It took me forever to find one near my house. A free one is a lotto win in my book! Yes, they do have a nice shape to them!

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »
Used the Peter Wright some and even with a little wear and some rounded corners I notice how much quicker I can forge with a "lively" anvil! The sound is beautiful. Does anyone know how to date one of these? I wonder how old it is? There is an inscription under the name formed in a circle that says "SOLID WROUGHT".
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 06:21:45 PM »
Mine is a Peter Wright Patent, solid wrought, 2. It still works! ;D
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

dannybb55

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 01:31:07 AM »
If the anvil is the standard London type then it is no earlier than 1820. The more massive Birmingham style is usually referred to as the Colonial type.