Author Topic: bivens books  (Read 3280 times)

Luke

bivens books
« on: April 26, 2012, 09:12:41 PM »
im trying not to screw up my next stock,taking my time and doing th e barrel inletting first before i get going with the rasp,need info if john bivens has any books out their, i read he was almost finshed with a complete how to book on rifle building before past away,or is this book out of print,from what ive read he was a great builder.thanks for all the help

Offline JCKelly

Re: bivens books
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:23:27 PM »
Bivens started a book, drafts sent to Shumway. Bivens died. Shumway could not get anyone to review it. I offered to go over my section, which was on metallurgy. Don't know if it finally died with Mr.Shumway or if someone else will take it up. A loss to all if they don't.
Others on this forum know more detail, I am sure.

Luke

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:30:46 PM »
yea mr kelly that would be a loss,i need all the help i can get its tough taking a blank stock a making it into the art work like you guys build,but try i shall

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:41:11 PM »
I would suggest "Recreating The American Longrifle" if you don't already have one, available at most on line muzzleloader supply sites. Also " The Art of Building The Pennsylvania Longrifle". I find them to be excellent . Hershel House has a DVD that is very good, as is Mark Silver's DVD.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:42:16 PM by E. Smith »
Eric Smith

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 02:26:22 AM »
I believe the manuscript of Bivins unpublished book is in the possesion of the Winterthur Museum in Delaware.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 03:29:01 AM »
I thought I heard at one time that Mark Silver was going to look at the manuscript and edit and update it.  That would make since since he worked for John during the time when John was making all the bicentennial guns. 
Dave

Offline fm tim

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 03:46:08 PM »
The book:

Gunsmithing Tips & Projects published byWolfe Publishing Company of Prescott AZ contains 19 articles by Bivens
They cover Oil finishes, inletting barrels and locks, gunstocking, carving, decorative inlays, metal finishes and damp boxes, Investment casting of trigger guards etc., lock assembly, barrel forging, and restoration of antique firearms.

Not a full construction book, but close.