Author Topic: Forging an Virginia iron mounted buttplate  (Read 12196 times)

Offline M Tornichio

Re: Forging an Virginia iron mounted buttplate
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 07:11:10 PM »
I am with Heinz on this one. Picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for the posting the pictures John. Dennis one thing to remember, if you are unhappy with the bend the metal can usually be flattened and reworked again. One tip on getting the correct angle on the comb to buttplate transition is to hammer that area a the approximate angle before putting your curve into the back of the buttplate.
Marc

Offline fm tim

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »
See Hershel House video on making a Hawken.  He forges, rivets, then brazes joint

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 01:57:01 AM »
Well I finally got the two pieces brazed together. Brazing was a snap but getting the rivets (I used two) was a problem. I finally screwed the two pieces onto a block of wood and then put them in the drill press vise and drilled the holes for the rivet. Didn't leave enough rivet showing so I didn't fill the holes flush but if they don't file out I can hit them with the wire welder and fill them. Will post it later after I clean it up.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline heinz

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 02:39:43 AM »
Good for you Dennis.  I like the idea of the block of wood..  I always just used the rifle butt as the jig for the hole drilling.
kind regards, heinz