Author Topic: Lathes  (Read 6151 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Lathes
« on: May 16, 2012, 03:38:38 AM »
Does anyone have any advice on buying a lathe for turning powderhorn buttplugs and screwtips, but also in regards to using it as an aid in gun building? Anyone here thinking on that same level/plan?
Eric Smith

Offline Bart

Re: Lathes
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 04:42:56 AM »
I use an old Atlas bench top lathe to assist me in gun building projects as well as powder horns and a sundry of other tasks. It works just fine for me. Smithy makes a nice lathe but they are very pricey !! You do not need a big lathe to do the kind of work; I think you want to perform. If you plan to purchase a used lathe, just make sure that it turns true, at least within 2 thousandths of an inch.

Good luck,

Bart

Offline Bart

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 04:47:56 AM »
I forgot to mention, Harbor Freight Tool Company, they make a reasonably priced bench top lathe that will work fine for most jobs. But the chuck does not have a very large center. It will work fine for small stuff though.

Bart

Offline Habu

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 06:13:26 AM »
From a wood-turning lathe perspective, almost any of the mini-lathes will work for turning buttplugs, spout plugs, and screwtips.  They won't turn a whole horn though, for that you need something like a bowl lathe, or a movable headstock lathe with a slow speed (maybe 100 RPM or slower).  Several people have modified various woodturning lathes for this.

Offline Longshot

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 01:21:06 PM »
You can usually turn smaller pieces on a large lathe, but you can't effectively turn large pieces on a small lathe.
If you've got the room and the interest its probably worth hunting down a fairly heavy machine with 36" or 42" between centers and #2 tapers.  The older Delta/Rockwell 400 series or Powermatic's are out there and, if true, would probably meet your needs.  Set aside a few $$ for tools and chucks, which you purchase as you gain experience and need them.
Turn on!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 02:46:02 PM »
One good thing about the Atlas line of machines as well as Clausing also is that parts although pricey due to captive market are available.(you must buy our parts at our prices)
I mentioned the 1934 vintage 10F (10x36) that I use a lot and the Model 618 that I made into a screw machine and also have a 12x36 Craftsman from 1943 that I rarely use but it's there if I need it and I bought it with unemployment checks in 1958. The Atlas 618 was new in 1964. The son of a deceased friend gave me a pristine Craftsman 618 that his father bought new and used but little.It has a 3 jaw chuck and tailstock chuck..
A hard to find item is the bigger 58 and 59 series Jacobs spindle chucks for these Atlas/Craftsman machines as well as any others that use a 1x10 or 1and1/2 x8 thread.
Parts for them appear to be unobtainable.
None of these machines are found in a modern shop but for guys like us,they will do almost any job normally associated with muzzle loaders. The main drawback to them is the too small spindle bore that will not allow chucking a barrel for internal threading for the breech plug. For me,that is a rare problem but for others,a nuisance.

Bob Roller 

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
Does anyone have any advice on buying a lathe for turning powderhorn buttplugs and screwtips, but also in regards to using it as an aid in gun building? Anyone here thinking on that same level/plan?

Size needed will depend on what you mean by "as an aid in gun building".
For a small lathe capable of doing tumblers and such I would not go smaller than a 9". These can be had with spindle bores around 1" from Grizzly and probably Harbor Freight as well. Expect 1000-1200 bucks.  This will handle anything in the way of ramrod tips and powder horn parts too of course. They come with all the chucks and such you are likely to need.
If you might make breech plugs  or bore barrels for breeches, shorten etc then the size needs to increase to give a 1 1/4 or larger spindle bore.
This means a 12" or larger and a 4 jar chuck as well as a three and the cost may increase though pretty good used lathes may be found that are not too scary. Especially in the east or around larger cities.

So think about what you want to do carefully. Having a lathe opens many possibilities. But small table top lathes are very limited. Nor does a lathe have to be a modern design, an older step pulley speed change lathe in good condition can be a real prize in our context.
Used lathes often cut a taper to a greater or lesser extent close to the headstock where most work is done.
Used gap bed lathes are problematical if the gap has ever been removed. Sometimes they don't go back in properly.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 10:23:38 PM »
I use an old craftsman lathe from the early 70's my father gave me.  He bought it new and used it
rarely.  I imagine Craigslist would be a good source for a nice used lathe.  Not everyone knows how
to use them, so there is probably an excess of them sitting around.  Plus they take up more space
than alot of folks want to use for storing them.  Just checked craigslist 4 available in Pittsburgh area for $125, $100, $100 and $80. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:26:36 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 12:10:04 AM »
look into a four jaw chuck as well!! i have a OneWay...purchased at rockler woodworking store. turn plugs with ease!!! i have an old Jet model,rheostat down to 150 rpm..turn horn nicely... buy and old craftsmen and modify to turn out ward for horn body work!!!!
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 10:39:35 PM »
You guys ain't gonna believe this. My plug lathe is an old gear reduction hand grindstone, with the stone removed, and a cast iron weight from a set of barbells put in it place, to serve as a flywheel. The crank handle has been removed, and a pivot attaches it to a rod the links it to a foot pedal. It turns antler, wood, and ivory, powder measures, vent pick handles, and pan brush handles. The chuck is an old three jaw chuck off of a big old drill press.

Hungry Horse

Offline Kermit

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 12:31:08 AM »
We need pictures of that lathe!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 03:56:33 AM »
Kermit, I will get pictures as soon as I get it back from a friend, that borrowed it to turn some pewter buttons for a great coat. We melted up a bunch of damaged pewter, from a local antique store, and poured it into a piece of pipe that was the right diameter for the project. What do you mean you can't get there  from here. TTYL.

Hungry Horse

Horner75

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 07:23:58 AM »
I went to a wood turners show in Kansas City last Fall and there was a fella turning all sorts of projects on an old Singer Treadle sewing machine that he converted into a lathe. __ Seemed to work great!

Rick

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 05:31:32 PM »
Horner75;

I got the idea for my hillbilly wood lathe from a guy at rendezvous that had a metal lathe made from a treadle sewing machine, married to an old post drill press, mounted on its side. He had an antiqued up cross feed from Harbor Freight worked into it some how too. I watched him made OTR barrels from straight octagon ones all day.

Hungry Horse