Author Topic: overhead views of flint locks  (Read 2390 times)

JB2

overhead views of flint locks
« on: May 08, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »
Anybody have any straight overhead pics of flintlocks?  Done quite a few different searches, but most pics I've found are side views or 3/4 rear views.  I'd really like to see some where the cock is/had to be bent or the cock and frizzen centerlines are not perfectly lined up.   

I'm getting back on the 'project' lock for my .32 squirrel rifle, and trying to determine how much I can bend this thing before it gets worse,or broken.  The cock is square with the frizzen, just the centerline of the cock is outside the centerline of the frizzen by about 1/4".  Probably end up with a combination of welding, reshaping and bending to get things looking better. 

I do have spares for both parts (same molds, so they all have the same 'characteristics') so I can do the 'trial and failure method', my favorite!!

Thanks guys
Jimb

JB2

Re: overhead views of flint locks
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 05:05:02 PM »
Well. D-UH on me!!  Finding some pics like I'm looking for on the Contemporty blog spot.  Dunno why it didn't register before.  Just another excuse to go look at MORE pics of longrifles. 

Offline JDK

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:36:25 PM »
While I am not completely clear as to whether you are looking for any top views or just ones with bent cocks....

I suggest you look at the Track of the Wolf site.  They post multiple views of all their guns to include a picture taken from the top from the lock to butt.

Might be of help.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

JB2

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 02:55:38 AM »
Actually, J.D., that did help.  Quite a bit.  Don't know why I couldn't think of something so simple, I visit TOW every day just like here.  ;D Forest fer da trees, I guess.

Thanks

Offline JDK

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 03:01:29 AM »
Always glad to help.

I know what you mean though.....sometimes the simplest things aren't so simple :-\

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter