Author Topic: german silver  (Read 2536 times)

Offline hortonstn

german silver
« on: May 11, 2012, 04:57:26 PM »
how do i keep german silver from tarnishing brass looks ok when tarnished but gs needs to be shiney
any thoughts
paul

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Re: german silver
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:25:52 PM »
There is no way to keep it shiney except by polishing it with steel wool occasionally. Or possibly "Wax on Wax off" might help some. Real silver stays shiney a little better but even it tarnishes. But sterling or coin silver still looks better than G-silver.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 06:15:58 PM »
Try this.....it works on gold and should work on GS; and it won't damage your finish.  The supplies should be readily available if you are married and you can do a quick test.

Smear it with RED lipstick and buff it with a Kleenex.

Report back!!
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 07:50:26 PM »
Try this.....it works on gold and should work on GS; and it won't damage your finish.  The supplies should be readily available if you are married and you can do a quick test.

Smear it with RED lipstick and buff it with a Kleenex.

Report back!!

Hum, I wonder if its the beeswax in lipstick that is the helper here.  Wonder if melting a bit of bees wax, applying a thin coat and then buffing with a kleenex would work with out the red color. 
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »
Barbie,
I think it's the red rouge in the lipstick.  Back in your Dad's day, we used to give girls our class ring when we were "goin' steady."  They were 18k gold and silver back then.  Don't know what they are these days.  They'd slick em up with lipstick and polish them, then wrap the bottom with a wad of mohair yarn until it fit their finger.  I think it's how they marked their territory.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 10:35:16 PM »
thanks, it amazing how much knowledge is on this forum
paul