Author Topic: Supply for large head lock bolts?  (Read 10968 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Supply for large head lock bolts?
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 01:38:22 AM »
I think you can get 1/2  in head bolts from Chambers .

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 07:56:57 PM »
We've had great success on finding odd screws at Blacksmith Bolt and Screw http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/index.html  especially oval headed screws.
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline JDK

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 10:15:47 PM »
So my question is this, for those who have handled originals, what size is period correct.
There is no period correct and if there were you would have to specify a period.

Look at your picture books and guns in the virtual museum.  Lock bolts run the gamut in head size.  Go with what looks right for the style you are interpreting.

It's slot size and shape that is the problem.  Modern screw slots are wide have parallel sides.  The old ones were tapered and narrower.

what material should these  be made of to be right

Steel.

Hope that helps, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 02:04:11 AM »
I use 12L14 for all my screws except a little one that holds the link to the mainspring and it is drill rod-0-1 and not hardened. The slot as has been stated should be a "V:with an acute angle. I have several of these files and my favorite for most small screws is a knife shaped 4" English made Stubbs Olympic #2 cut. These quality files are extinct as far as I know. I used to buy them in sets from a supplier in Columbus,Ohio called Stern,Inc. I am always looking for small files and tools but most of the flea markets around here are junk and rummage and new made junk from China.

Bob Roller

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2012, 02:31:35 AM »
If I go to Lowes or Home Deot for carriage bolts to modify, what should I look for?
Eric Smith

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 03:42:24 AM »
Just find a crriage bolt with the head the size, or nearly so, of the one you want on the lock bolt.  Chuck it up and start filing the threads off and the bumps on the bottom of the head.  Keep filing until the shaft is the same size as the unthreaded portion of the lockbolt shaft you are wanting.  Lightly file the bolt head until the plating is off and it is the size and shape you want.  Run your die over the shaft to the length you need threaded.  No need to thread it all the way.  Cut the notch in the head and you are ready to go.
If you remove the bolt from the chuck and finish filing by hand it gives the appearance of a completely handmade bolt.
Gary Tucker

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012, 04:32:54 PM »
Jim, I think I ordered the same tang screws as you did. Nothing like getting something and then having to "remake it" due to crappy quality. Waste of time.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks