Author Topic: Artificial stripe  (Read 3840 times)

JLE

Artificial stripe
« on: December 09, 2008, 02:28:56 AM »
As I understand some Lehigh County rifles had artifical stripe on them.Would like to hear some thoughts on how this was done. Myself,I have used ink and small flame with some sucess.

oakridge

Re: Artificial stripe
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 03:08:09 AM »
JLE, if you search the archives for artifical stripe, you will find several threads discussing the different methods used, ink, paint, etc.

JLE

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 03:20:23 AM »
For some reason I cannot log into the archives. I get password error message JLE

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 04:24:26 AM »
JLE,
I've tried to duplicate the problem by logging out and then back in but can't get it to give me problems.  Maybe Dennis can figure out the problem. 
Have you tried to register on the archives site? 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 07:23:56 AM »
Ken,

Just a guess, but anyone who first registered on the new board may not be able to access the archives because the archives page has no user name or password to go by. THe same probably goes for those who changed their user name and password when the came from the old board to the new board.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 08:17:26 AM »
Here's the answer.

Artificial striping was pretty common on Lancaster  rifles circa 1840-50 ish. After basic staining, the strips were applied with an indelible black ink. A brush was used that appplied several srtips at a time by removing intermitant bristles from a brush. The lines are a little fuzzy as the ink sinks into the wood. See this on some Lemans, Dreppards, ect. Then the finish is applied.

Artificial striping was also used on some Lehigh Valley rifles. The difference seems to be that the stock was sealed  first. The ink line was then very distinct at the borders. More artificial looking. But this wasn't an attempt at fooling anyone in the first place. Just a method of decorating at the time. Then varnish was applied over that. IMHO, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 05:53:59 PM »
For some reason I cannot log into the archives. I get password error message JLE
Randy is correct. In order to keep ALR members from having to register for the new Archive Forum, I copied the existing MySQL membership file from this forum (the online one) and imported it into the Archive forum. That worked well until newer members tried to access the Archives. I will have to do that again to bring the Archive membership up to date with this forum. **I just updated the Archives membership file as of today 12/910:45AM**
Dennis
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:53:43 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

JLE

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 02:26:46 AM »
Thanks for the help,I was able to log on the archives. Looks like most striped stocks was with ink,I guess I'm doing it right. One post mention aqua fortis, I've used that with the same results as ink.
This is a great site, thanks for all the help.