Author Topic: A New England Fowler  (Read 11471 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: A New England Fowler
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 12:39:01 AM »
Mike - Thanks for the complements.  I was being a little bit facetious, but I appreciate your thoughts and encouragement.  The pitch is at the extreme end of NE fowlers, but it seemed like the right way to go, given the very large bore.
Probably the wise thing to do. Besides it's not "wrong"anyway. ;) ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Rasch Chronicles

Re: A New England Fowler
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 09:33:58 AM »
Hmmm,

I got to thinking about the possibility of bone and wood dimensional changes, but I have looked at dozens of wheellocks and snaphaunces with a ton of bone inlay, and I haven't seen a proliferation of gaps. As a matter of fact, the majority of them look pretty darn tight to my eye. There is the occasional missing inlay, but the inlays look as tight as they could be. I wonder...maybe bone and stock woods have similar expansion coefficients? I've seen plenty of hardware that does have gaps. Or, could it be that all of these pieces I refer to are usually held by collectors who probably have controlled environments for their pieces. But then again, that would be a fairly modern convenience...

Questions questions, questions....

Best regards,
Albert