Author Topic: Nicholson #49 vrs Auriou Rasp  (Read 18192 times)

Offline coopersdad

Re: Nicholson #49 vrs Auriou Rasp
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 05:53:52 PM »
I have both coarse and fine dragon rasps from Stewart Macdonald. They are very sharp. The coarse really hogs off the wood, leaves a rough finish but that's expected.  The fine cuts quickly also but leaves a smoother finish. I usually use a finer rasp after it. The tips with their fine points are handy. I don't have a Nicholson 49 to compare; I bought these after hearing the foreign Nicholson's were not so great.  I looked at an Auriou which appeared to be more finely made. The flat faces on the dragons are not perfectly flat, like they warped a bit when hardened. Hasn't really been a problem. Overall I like them but do plan on getting an Auriou, mostly because I'm a tool junkie.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 05:55:46 PM by coopersdad »
Mike Westcott

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 01:38:09 AM »
coopersdad, thx for your opinion. The sharp pointed shape is what got my attention first. When you say
The flat faces on the dragons are not perfectly flat, like they warped a bit when hardened
are they bowed, twisted  or a bit of both?    thx.    Kerry

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 05:09:16 AM »
I'd say more bowed. If you wanted to lay it flat, long ways, to flatten a surface it might cause issues, but there are few places on a rifle like that. Its very slight but noticeable.  I'd still recommend them.  Might change my mind if I buy an Auriou someday.
Mike Westcott

Offline okieboy

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 01:55:55 AM »
 When one looks at the price of an Auriou rasp, they look expensive. After watching this, they seem quite reasonable. I do not own one, but now I really want one as an example of craftsmanship as well as a tool.
Okieboy

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, 02:02:54 AM »
Mine are expected tomorrow, via UPS, I will post whether they beat my # 49.
Eric Smith

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »
Here is a link to a Swiss made rasp that is supposed to be as good or better than a USA #49 & #50, but less pricey than a Auriou.
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=vallorbePatRasp
Eric Smith

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 11:51:29 PM »
My Auriou rasp's arrived yesterday, and I have to tell, you, there is no comparison. Having used both now, I can truthfully say that the Nicholson is junk compared to the Auriou. I'm not saying the #49 won't get the job done, but it's a 1 HP and the Auriou is an 8 HP. Those of you who already have them know what I'm talking about. Many thanks to those who recommended it.
Eric Smith

Rainman

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 06:02:46 AM »
Go to the Bowyers edge website. They have an American made rasp for $70.  Dean Torges is a Master Cabinet Maker and if he is selling the rasp it is a good one.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 06:12:31 AM »
Just checked out this bow rasp and it seems it is flat on both sides.  Not the best design for a longrifle in my view.

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 09:00:25 AM »
Good American made files/rasps are as rare as a football bat and about the only places that may have them are hardware stores with NOS
(New Old Stock) from honored American makers. These imported ones are,as you say about like a half worn old American file. The new ones I have are from Portugal and seem "soft"to me. Flea markets?Maybe. Most tools found there are rusty. The German made Pferd seem OK but the ones I have are needle files. Who would one complain to about the wretched quality of these tools and would there be any positive results? I also am fed up with seeing old and respected American names on 4th rate tools but that seems to be the accepted thing now.

Bob Roller

ITS THE CHEESEBURGER ECONOMY!   ;)

DB

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 10:07:46 AM »
Is the Auriou curving rasp a good one for stock shaping. It looks like it might. Anyone used it.

Offline blacksmith99

• Starting Member
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2012, 02:48:16 AM »
When one looks at the price of an Auriou rasp, they look expensive. After watching this, they seem quite reasonable. I do not own one, but now I really want one as an example of craftsmanship as well as a tool.

That was very interesting!

Thanks!