Author Topic: Web thickness  (Read 2856 times)

Offline gibster

Web thickness
« on: July 23, 2012, 02:49:46 PM »
When building from a blank, how thin should the web between the barrel and the ram rod channel be?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Web thickness
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »
Depends on the style of gun you're building.

I try for just enough down at the breech end to get a lock bolt between lock and barrel, between 3/16 and 5/32. But again,it depends on the style gun. Some use only one lock bolt.

A big chubby jaeger could have 1/4" web, and a little Lehigh or southern gun could have 1/8"

How do I get a precision web? It's real easy when you know how: Draw the plan on the side of the stock, and send it to Dave Rase.  ;D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 05:23:01 PM »
Dave Rase also does mine to perfection. 3/32" web at the breech and 5/32 at the muzzle. Only build slim Bucks County andf Lancaster LRs, so these web dims yield a very slim LRs.....Fred

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »
If you have enuff barrel wall, it's not a problem to file a notch on the bottom barrel flat for the screw to pass.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

DB

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 11:26:01 AM »
Dave Rase also does mine to perfection. 3/32" web at the breech and 5/32 at the muzzle. Only build slim Bucks County andf Lancaster LRs, so these web dims yield a very slim LRs.....Fred

Why the 5/32 at the muzzle?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 02:49:34 PM »
The web thickness at the muzzle determines the depth of the nosecap.  We've seen many cases where somebody uses a shallow depth commerically made nosecap when the web is thick, and the ramrod hang out far below the nosecap.  Maybe handy for grabbing the ramrod but unsightly.
Andover, Vermont