Author Topic: Carving in low relief (added material)  (Read 12787 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Carving in low relief (added material)
« on: June 09, 2012, 11:48:57 PM »
Maybe this is useful to you, maybe not, but it's how I do this kind of carving. Everyone has a slightly different way of doing things, so certainly take what you like from this, and leave the rest.

I drew on the other side of the stock, and made a tracing paper pattern to make a rubbing on this side of the stock.

I hit the gullies with a gouge to stab the curve.

A fine parting tool goes around all the other curves. The one illustrated is a Pfiel 16/1. The depth of cut has to be paid careful attention to as one goes up and over the curved surface. Watch that little curl coming out of the gouge, it will tell you if you've got consistent depth. You can certainly stab this design instead of using the parting tool, and this would avoid the depth of cut issues. Where I bought the Pfiel 16/1 parting tool: http://www.woodcarvingbiz.com/V_Parting.htm

A small gouge makes a nice scoop detail at the junction of leaves.

A thin flat chisel pares the relief very nicely.

A very sharp scraper makes quick work of leveling and working up to the relief. Note that the relief is very shallow, maybe .02" at most.

The scraper is very useful for shaping the transitions. Just roll the stock in the light, and you will see where material needs to come off.

I keep the ramrod in the stock so I don't mess up the knife edge of the RR channel and pipe inlet.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:27:18 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Carving in low relief
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 05:36:09 AM »
Apologies if some of this is repetive, but there are a couple of different tools and techniques.

Behind the cheek design pencilled in, in the style of Neihart.

Take a parting tool and cut along the lines. I lay the tool over on its side, with one tool lip laid down on the side of the line that gets relieved. The other lip stands fairly vertical. This tool is a 90 Vee. You can also stab this design in, if that is your preference.

When you've cut everything that you plan on, erase all the pencil marks. Then you can see if you have elbows or flat spots in your curves. You can also see the faceted cuts I made with the parting tool laid over toward the relief side of the line.

Relieve up to the line, using the side of the cut line as a rest for the side of the chisel. This is from the forestock, but same process. A fishtail gouge is really neat for this work, too. A #3 sweep, 6 to 10 mm wide is ideal.

Blend the background down with a flattening rasp. Fair it out as far as practical, and tip the stock in the light to make sure the divots and bumps are all flattened.

I made this rasp. Takes a couple of hours to do so, but it saves centuries of leveling with a scraper. This tool is very aggressive, with pointy little teeth like a Jack Russel, so take it easy with the pressure. Make the shape you want, then raise little teeth with a graver or small chisel. Then harden. Use spring steel or 0-1.  This one is low carbon steel, case hardened. Pain in the butt to go thru that process for one tool.

View of scraper I use. 1/32 thick 0-1 tool steel. I hardened it and drew it back to spring temper. Lately I have been simply grinding the end square and sides flat, ie: not rolling a burr.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:25:59 AM by Acer Saccharum »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Carving in low relief (added material)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:07:57 AM »
Next issue will be detailing and modeling.

mike learn

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:20:01 AM »
Awesome.  I look forward to more!!!  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Habu

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 08:20:20 AM »
This is a really nice series--thanks for taking the trouble to put it together.

Jim

Offline Frank

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 10:01:38 AM »
Good information. Can you make it a sticky when you are done? Thanks

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »
Great info.....keep it comming......

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 06:35:03 PM »
Great to see you at work Tom.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 07:02:09 PM »
Thank you, Taylor. It's such a relief!  ;D

Offline rick landes

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 07:49:49 PM »
These are very well done. You are an excellent teacher-technician. I always "walk" away well informed and encouraged. Thanks as always for the sharing.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline davebozell

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 11:19:40 PM »
This is great stuff!  Any chance it can be copied over to the tutorials section? 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 11:31:19 PM »
Done! Thanks for the bump.  ;D

cheyenne

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 12:55:33 AM »
Great stuff.....this is why this site is such a resource!

SuperCracker

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 09:20:21 AM »
let me also add my thanks for taking the time to put this up. It will prove helpful

mike learn

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 09:54:35 AM »
Many thanks.mmIncan see that I am short a few different chisels. ;)

Offline okieboy

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 04:49:43 PM »
 Thank you. The pictures and your discriptions convey your techniques with perfect clarity.
Okieboy

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 05:54:15 PM »
Mike, you don't need a lot of chisels.

I believe Bill Shipman cuts his carving in with an Exacto knife. He's probably got, and uses, fewer chisels than I do. But look at his work, whoo-baby, how does he do that?

Also, the chisels in your toolbox are predicated by the kind of work you do, and the style in which you work.

That is not very helpful to someone who is trying to build up their chisel set. But the geezers who have fifty years of tool collecting will know what I mean: you went and spent $20 thousand in tools over the years, but you really only use a handful of these tool.

This might be a thread worth exploring: hearing from different builders what tools they find indispensable.

Offline JDK

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »
I believe Bill Shipman cuts his carving in with an Exacto knife. He's probably got, and uses, fewer chisels than I do. But look at his work, whoo-baby, how does he do that?
Perhaps, if Bill is willing, somebody should pay him a visit and document his methods for a tutorial here.  Somebody?  Tom?

...But the geezers who have fifty years of tool collecting will know what I mean: you went and spent $20 thousand in tools over the years, but you really only use a handful of these tool.

I'm not a geezer yet by a stretch but I am a victim of this curse!

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Artificer

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 06:43:13 PM »
Acer,

Thank you for sharing the method of how you do this carving.  I was wondering if the same basic method was used to carve around the tang and the lock panels on a P 1730 Brown Bess, especially the way the bottom of the carving extends down from the lock panels to the underside of the stock and close to each side of the trigger guard?  I hope these links will show what I’m talking about.

It would be Musket Number 1. in the first three photo’s in this gallery:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/m-GalleryItem.aspx?cid=22&gid=41

Gus