Author Topic: breech plug inquiry  (Read 1614 times)

Offline dave gross

breech plug inquiry
« on: August 07, 2012, 03:34:26 AM »
I recently bought a collection of muzzleloader parts at a gunsmith's shop. One of the barrels is a swamped 44" 40 caliber which came with its own badly broken half stock.  It has an underrib staked to the bottom flat and was a percussion rifle.  A friend wants me to use this barrel but he is a "lefty" so I will have to cut the breech off and have a new plug installed.  I hesitate to do this as I feel that the barrel was once in a fullstock and used a flintlock.  The bore looks very nice but will need to be cleaned  to see the actual state of the rifling. In the deal I got two 13/16 drawn octagon barrels 42" long...one 45 caliber, looks like 1 in 60 twist...the other is 30 caliber with much faster twist than the first...I'd guess 1 in 40 or thereabouts.  The grooves in the 30 are very wide in relation to the lands.  Both barrels are unmarked but the bores are mirror brite. I need the three barrels breeched and since my local machinist isn't too interested in the project I wonder who the members here might recommend.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Dave Gross

ontarget

Re: breech plug inquiry
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:42:12 AM »
I just had a very old pistol restored by this fellow.  Met him at Dixon's Gunmakers Fair a week ago.  Give him a call and tell him your needs.  Don't know for sure if he will want to do your project but I feel certain he has the ability to do a fine job.

Robert Lippincott
200 Andersen Road
Milford, NJ  08848

908-998-4095