Author Topic: Bucks County style lock  (Read 3839 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Bucks County style lock
« on: August 06, 2012, 10:14:32 PM »
Would a large siler kit be appropriate for a Bucks Co. John Shuler style rifle?
Would the same lock be appropriate for a southern mtn. rifle style or could it be modified? Trying to make a decision on my next build.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Bucks County style lock
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 11:49:12 PM »
A large Siler would be more than appropriate for use on a Shuler type rifle.   ;)  The Chambers English lock would work well too, for an English import or English style lock. 
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 12:06:21 AM »
Kinda like the Chambers Late Ketland for a  Shuler Bucks County...should also be OK for a Southern Mountain. The large Siler would also do for a Shuler. My rendition of a BC below, using the Late Ketland

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:07:50 AM by flehto »

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 01:51:21 PM »
    Bucks Co. rifles are found w/ both Germanic and English trade locks.   The large Siler lock is at the upper end of the "big" scale, but is often used and would certainly be correct. The English trade "Tulip lock" (called that due to the stylized tulip engraving) is often encountered.  Remember, Bucks Co. is just north of Philadelphia, so a wide variety of locks, barrels etc. were available in that area.  A perfect Germanic lock would be something between a small Siler and a large Siler, of course that is my opinion.  I often use the late (classic) Ketland from chambers, as it is one darn good lock.   Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 01:52:48 PM »
In response to your second question, a large Siler would not be the most typical choice for a So Mtn rifle as it is Germanic in style and most Appalachian guns had English style locks.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 06:00:11 PM »
This rifle was done with a large Siler lock from Chambers.

This lock gives the rifle lot's of hot sparks, every time!  Of course, I reshaped the cock a little to suit my own fancy and make it look more like RCA 65.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline bgf

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 06:36:47 PM »
Chambers Late Ketland has many of the same internals as a large Siler (but a little shorter throw cock and different cosmetics, I think), so you could go either way with it and not be taking too much risk.  I think it still looks a little too Germanic somehow, but it works pretty well and most people don't seem to notice or care.