Author Topic: Where Can I Find Iron Patch Box Pictures  (Read 6430 times)

Offline Kevin Houlihan

Where Can I Find Iron Patch Box Pictures
« on: August 10, 2012, 02:05:31 AM »
Where can I find a book or web site that has pictures of original Southern rifles with iron 4 piece or captured lid patch boxes?  Similar in style to those made by Ian Pratt, Hershel House etc.?
Thank you,
Kevin
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:02:34 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Bart

Re: Iron Patch Box Pictures
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 02:30:16 AM »
You can search for Hershel House on the Contemporary Makers Blog site or you can search right here for iron mounted guns.

Good Luck,

Bart

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 02:49:27 AM »
Bart,
Thanks, but I'm looking for pics of original guns similar to the guns that HH's are styled after.  I would like to build a Southern style gun that is somewhat based on an original piece.  There are wonderful pics on the Blog, but those are contemporary for the most part.  I've heard people say or read where a particular gun (contemporary) is based on an original piece from Virginia, SC, NC, Georgia, etc.  I've done a lot of looking on the net and have only (for the most part) found contemporary pieces.
Thanks,
Kevin

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 02:59:47 AM »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bart

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 03:08:34 AM »
Kevin,

Do you plan to attend the CLA show in Lexington, KY this year? If so you can probably find some books through Shurlock Publishing there at the show or look them up on the web.

Bart

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 03:33:10 AM »
 Unfortunately I won't be at the CLA show, but I can look at Scurlock's web site.

This rifle which appears to be converted from flint is one that I really like -
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2012/06/antique-iron-mounted-rifle.html
 I wonder if that patch box was available commercially made as I have seen that same pattern on a few rifles.  Other than the keyhole the PB is similar to the Mariano Modena Hawken rifle @
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=20823.0

I've also seen the same design in either silver or brass on an original rifle.
Kevin

Offline Bart

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 04:30:58 AM »
Well if it is not you can always try to get a rubbing or tracing from some nice owner out there if you can find them and make one yourself, that is what I do. the KRA shows would be your best bet; or you can contact Brian Lemaster, he may be able to put you in touch with someone with an original rifle.

Good Luck buddy,

Oh and by the way I like your taste in rifles.

Bart

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 07:54:28 AM »
I wonder if that patch box was available commercially made as I have seen that same pattern on a few rifles.
yep it was a commercial item made/sold by Tryon of Philadelphia at least they were one source. The Tryon catalog illustrations in the "Plains Rifle" by Hanson shows both this one and IIRC the Medina box.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
Re: Where Can I Find Iron Patch Box Pictures
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 02:23:30 PM »
Here's a slightly enhanced version of a photo posted some years ago showing a gun in a Florida museum with an iron box.  I have been playing around with an interpretation of this box for a rifle.  I can email or post other photos if you are interested.

I thought the combination of exterior hinge returns and captured lid was pretty neat.  The sides of the box reflect scrollwork reminiscent of golden age pieces, which I liked.

Larry Luck

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 02:39:12 PM »
Here are a few more of the rest of the rifle.

Larry Luck

These were posted years ago on the old ALR board, I think by Dennis Glazener.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »
Check the 'Antiques section", it's a reference gold mine.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=22873.0
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline James

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 01:09:24 AM »
What is meant by "captured lid" when referring to a patchbox?
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 01:23:09 AM »
Bart, Larry, Chuck Acer - Thanks for all of your help.  Ian Pratt had a rifle on the Blog with what looked like an applied patch box hinge but I never had never seen another until now.  They're kind of cool!  Believe it or not, I also hadn't considered looking in the "Antique Rifle Collecting" thread for pictures...duh
Thanks again,
Kevin

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 02:39:06 AM »
Snap,
Check this link to what I think is the best looking iron patchbox I have seen: http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/search?q=louie+parker&updated-max=2010-02-15T07:03:00-05:00&max-results=20&start=7&by-date=false

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 04:11:55 AM »
James,

By my definition, a captured lid box is where the lid is surrounded by a single metal piece that comprises what would be the finial, side pieces and also provides a space between the patchbox lid and the buttplate.

If you look at the box I posted and at the Jacob Young rifles at Mel Hankla's site:

http://americanhistoricservices.com/html/jacob_young.html

You can see what I am trying to describe.

Larry Luck

Offline James

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 04:45:30 PM »
Thank you Larry.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry