Author Topic: Little Lehigh done  (Read 24123 times)

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: Little Lehigh done
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2012, 01:24:09 PM »
Tom,

Great looking Lehigh!  Superb job on a difficult rifle.  Look forward to seeing it at Dixon's.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2012, 02:38:10 PM »
Mistake #1, since nobody pointed it out, and are not likely to, and it might be one of those things that bugs me, and nobody else:

I am surprised that I was able to use this lock on a Lehigh. This gun was a project where I had a lock and a barrel, and said to myself 'what can I make with this?' Without much more thought or study, I went ahead with a Lehigh. It was going to be a plain Jane gun, no carving, just a shooter.

When I started cruising the photos of Lehighs by different builders, I noticed, after my lock had been let in, that the locks were predominantly flat bottomed(no curvature to the plate), and quite long in proportion to their width. I had chosen a fat lock with banana. Not what you'd pick for the best Lehigh architecture.

That said, the shaping of the breech area was extra challenging, trying to shape the lock panels and wrist to Lehigh look with a chubby lock. A lot of compromise took place.

This is how I build a gun: start the gun, then figure out what I'm building, and THEN try to make the materials fit my idea. This is putting the cart before the horse building, I'm always bailing my self out.

T
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2012, 03:01:25 PM »
It's these works of art that excite my senses and hold my interest in longrifles and their history.  Thanks for your generous contribution.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:47:00 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2012, 03:13:18 PM »
Tom.......seriously, you missed a few things that are not common in a lot of  builders...........you have a lot of artistic ability,
and imagination, two things that are difficult to learn.........Don

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Now you really have me worried, Don.

I don't know if it's a regional thing, or what, but everyone loves a Lehigh. Maybe we are pre-disposed to love a Lehigh, with A Martin, E Kettenburg, Taylor and Mark Wheland softening up the crowd considerably?

I don't get this kind of response from my other guns, so maybe it's the Lehigh format that turns everyone's crank. I dunno.

But I'll take all the kind words, and store them in my little hunting bag for rainy days. I really appreciate the kind words and support, because as you all know, just finding the time to produce one of these things can be agony.

ironwolf

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2012, 01:42:55 PM »
  Great Job Tom.  I've heard Neidhardt was a hopeless alcoholic.

Kevin

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2012, 02:39:19 PM »
  Great Job Tom.  I've heard Neidhardt was a hopeless alcoholic.

Kevin

Neihart's work is just fabulous. I don't know of anyone else's work that has more style, more brash, bold, wild designs. I tried my hand at it, just to 'learn his language'. You don't learn it just by looking, but by doing. I think it would take several Neihart builds to really get a grip on what he was up to. However, I don't want to become a hopeless alcoholic in order to understand his style!

Offline AMartin

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2012, 02:50:02 PM »
Nice little rifle Tom ... I look forward to seeing it on Friday .... I'll give you my remarks and comments then !!!!
Drive safely ..

Allen

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »
I, too, look forward to seeing you, Allen. Thank you for your offer. The most careful drive I do is on the way to Dixon's...I don't want to miss a minute.  ;D

While photos on the web are a great tool, there is nothing like getting a hands-one review by respected builders and collectors of Lehighs. I plan on showing it to Rich Hujsa, Joe Flemish, the guys at the KRA booth. Of course, Don Getz will have his say. ;D

This is the real acid test. This is the best feedback one can get in the whole country, and the most difficult moment for the builder. I will try to be as open as possible for critique, absorb everything I possibly can, even if it hurts. Hahahaha.

I do so look forward to this weekend!

Luke

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »
acer,great work you guys amaze me.luke

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2012, 08:23:26 PM »
Nice looking rifle, Acer.  You could have taken quite a bit of the banana out of that lock by reshaping the tail more and tweeking the nose a bit... of course you have to know that you wanna do it BEFORE it is inlet.....  ;D

But you did a fine job of making it work, IMHO!  I like your tail treatment and engraving on the lock.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2012, 08:32:20 PM »
I actually took out as much banana as I could. I filed the plate as far as the lowest sear position. Didn't want to go any farther, and have to make a new sear. If I had tipped the nose of the lock down more, the screw would be in the rr channel. I was kinda stuck with what I got. I'm not complaining about the results, by any means, but more to illustrate that one must work with what they have to make a product.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2012, 07:20:12 AM »
Tom, I just returned with my family from a holiday on Haida Gwaii, and have missed all this excitement.  Your rifle is truly great.  With its splendid architecture and calibre, it is definitely destined to be your favourite shooter.  Hang on to it...it's a keeper!!
PS:  the colour turned out perfect.  I love the transparency of the stain and the figure showing through the finish.  You've pulled it off in grand style.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline davebozell

« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2012, 03:18:48 AM »
I don't mean to keep bumping your posts  ;D, but I think I have been back to this post about 20 times now.  I really like the form of this rifle.  I'm not sure that a rifle can speak to me, but if one could, this one does!  I have been looking for a drawing for a Lehigh on-line, but have been unsuccessful so far.  I have resorted to printing extra large details in the hope of getting the scale correct.

I am also unfamiliar with the stain that you used ("shellac with dragon's blood"). 

Thanks,

Dave

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2012, 05:07:09 AM »
Ah, it's called a 'spirit varnish', which is little more than shellac. Look up 'french polish' on youtube on how to apply. Luthiers(guitar builder, violin makers) use a shellac finish, apply with French polish techniques.

I used a cloth over a rubber eraser as my applicator, applied finger dabs of olive oil on the stock, and a few drops of shellac on the rubber/cloth, and swirled it around and around, few drops more of shellac, working my way down the stock.

Dragon's Blood is a resin from a tree from an island off of Arabia, used for centuries for red violin finishes. Dissolves in alcohol, as does shellac. So I made a 50/50 blend of flake shellac and DB for my finish. Good for your violin, your jaeger or a Lehigh. It's a crystal clear red. Not muddy like a pigment color. It's also in the FINISH, not in the wood, so you have to look thru it to see the wood. Since Marco Polo brought this back on his camel train, I supposed it had enough credence to use for this.

I gave the gun away last Sunday.

To my daughter, Lydia, who just turned 20.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2012, 05:10:49 AM »
This is what I used to learn what I did: 

But a friend of mine, a violin bow maker, says the best oil to use is ALMOND oil, that has been thickened in the sun. I now have some almond oil sitting in a jar in the window.

C. Cash

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2012, 05:59:03 AM »
Wonder rifle.....love the shape and simple beauty of the design.