Author Topic: Post 2012 CLA Show Comments  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Frank Barker

Post 2012 CLA Show Comments
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:30:51 PM »
Well, the CLA show for 2012 is now over. Carolyn and I had lots of fun, meeting with all of our friends and making some new ones. It was such a pleasure being a small part of the auction and I would like to take this time to thank  Tim Albert, David Wright, and all of the artisans who participated. I know for a fact that many, many hours were spent promoting and coordinating this essential part of the CLA and I want to personally thank them all.  As usual, we heard lots of comments both good and bad, so let everyone know your thoughts and how was your experience.  Kind Regards   Frank  
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:30:55 AM by Frank Barker »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Post 2012 CLA Show Comments
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 12:40:12 AM »
Well, the worst thing about the show for us is the long drive from St. Louis, but it's well worth it for Susan and me.  She likes all the crafts present and appreciates the related arts, the clothing, small furniture, pottery, leatherwork and all, and we both enjoy seeing old friends and making new ones.  The antiques I see there are always inspiring for me.  I really appreciate the collectors who bring their treasures out for us to enjoy and study, and they are invariably generous in sharing.  This is the place I go for critique as I know a couple guys will give me good hints on how I could improve my latest project.  It's also a good place to restock on supplies (got a great walnut blank from Dunlap and a lock from R.E. Davis), find out what's coming next from Chambers (a round faced early Germanic lock by the end of the year, they hope!), and see the latest best work.

Complaints:  One of the rooms was a little dark, I thought.  Ian Pratt's table and that whole side of that room seemed like it could have used more light.  And I think the auction started without announcing that in the other rooms, perhaps. 

Suggestion: I know they try to keep things moving in the auction, but maybe they could show the items being bidded on on the wall using powerpoint.  Folks could see what's being bidded on.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:55:47 AM »
So how much did the CLA Alligator/Horse rifle bring?
Eric Smith

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 03:50:53 AM »
Rich.....They have struggled with the lighting every year. They added lighting in the Thoroughbred 2 Room where we usually set up but it is either to bright or to hot. You were right about the room where Ian was set up, it was kinda dark. You are also right about the PA system, you cannot hear announcements in the back rooms. I feel the auction needs to be put on the web site and let the whole world bid, as there are only a few there who even bid on the items. I don't think the Alligator/Horse rifle brought nearly what it was worth. I'm sure Rachel or someone will give us a run down on what was sold. It's good to hear both the good points and the bad.     Regards   Frank

Offline Eric Fleisher

• E. Fleisher Shot Pouches
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 08:03:42 PM »
That rifle brought $2500.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 08:56:52 PM »
Jeepers, somebody got a bargain!
Eric Smith

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 04:48:27 AM »
Jeepers, somebody got a bargain!
I agree. I can't believe it went that cheap.  How about the Tecumseh trade gun?

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 03:24:21 PM »
Guys - since we already have several threads going here in the gunbuilding forum I set up a new post with all the auction prices realize in "Over the Back Fence".  Thought it might make them easier to find.

Thanks

Guy