Author Topic: Gillespie Gunmaker and Rifles?  (Read 6185 times)

Leighton

Gillespie Gunmaker and Rifles?
« on: February 05, 2011, 07:28:32 PM »
Does anyone have any further info or details about the Gillespie gunmaker below?

Gillespie rifle photo

THere is the picture of a Gillespie rifle that is on display in the Jim Bob Tinsley Museum in Brevard NC. The name of the rifle is "Old Ellen" and I have a write up about it somewhere but have not found it.

If my memory serves me right this one was built by Phillip Gillespie. Phillip joined the Federal Army (not CSA as some stories say, including the one below by John Parris) and never returned. He died in Tenn. (see info below)

Notes for PHILIP GILLESPIE:

Philip Gillespie, son of Mathew and Elizabeth Sitton Gillespie, was

probably the best known of the Gillespie rifle makers of Mills River.

Philip was born February 11, 1817, and while a young man, he learned the

trade of rifle making from his father, and he learned it well. Many of

the Gillespie rifles in existence today bear the inscription P. G.

stamped on the barrel of the rifle. Very few of these rifles are to be

found today, and when they are, the going price is in the vicinity of

$3,000.00. In addition to making rifles, Philip was a farmer, and also

operated a distillery. In 1849, Philip purchased 347 acres of property

from the estate of Philip Sitton, Sr., who was Philip Gillespie's

grandfather. The property included the home of Philip Sitton Sr., and the

Iron Forge that Philip Sitton established about 1800.

It was somewhere on this property that Philip Gillispie reportedly

buried a cask of brandy and a small sack of gold coins. The next day

Philip left Mills River, never to return.

On August 2nd. of 1863, Philip, his brother Wilson,

brothers-in-law, George W. Underwood and Robert O. Blythe, left Mills

River by foot, went to Asheville, where they caught a train to Tenn. The

men worked for several days, thrashing wheat and cutting corn. On

September 25, 1863, the four men enlisted in the Union Army, at

Greenville, Tenn., and on October 1, 1863 the men were assigned to Co.

F., 2nd. Regiment of the North Carolina Mounted Infantry, at Knoxville,

Tenn.

On January 7th., 1864, Philip Gillespie was taken from camp, sick

with diarrhea. He was taken to the home of Richard Wade near

Maynardsville, Tenn., where he died Friday evening, January 15, 1864. He

was buried at Maynardsville on Saturday night, January 16, 1864.

Offline T*O*F

Re: Gillespie Gunmaker and Rifles?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:55:04 PM »
1.  Refer to the Gillespie write-up in the library.
2.  Buy Dennis' book which contains history and pics of all the Gillespies.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Dr Rick

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:45:42 PM »
Although the Gillespie rifle makers are not part of my direct family I've been interested in Gillespie rifles for a long time.  I have repeatedly heard it mentioned that a number of the defenders of the Alamo carried a Gillespie rifle.  However, I've never found any documentation of that fact.  I'm wondering if anyone has run across this information?
Rick Gillespie, DC
San Marcos, TX

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 09:16:38 PM »
Dr. Rick,
First, are you sure you aren't a member of the Gillespie gunmaker family? Some of them moved to Texas as well as a number of my Glazener family.

I have heard a story that Davy Crockett carried a Gillespie to the Alamo. A guy from Henderson county called me and told me a family story about one of Phillip Gillespie's rifles that had a "Ivory Walnut" stock (I understand this was Butternut) was given or sold to Davy one one of his trips to the area. Davy Married a lady from not too far from the Gillespie shop, I forget her name right now. But supposedly Davy took two rifles with him to TX and the Gillespie was one of them.

He was a truck driver and one time while in TX he made a stop at the Alamo. He said he got there close to closing time but when he told them he just got there and would have to leave they let him in to view the rifles they had. He said he got a personal tour and that one of the rifles there had ? G on the barrel. I wrote the curator and described the rifle and the only reply I got was that there was a rifle there that fit the description but he did not say whether it had the initials on the barrel or not.

A couple of years ago the wife and I visited the Alamo and when we got to the area with the rifles I did not see anything like what he described. After talking with the docent there I concluded that they didn't have a clue if the rifles there ever were at the Alamo prior to Santa Anna. I don't think they know ANYTHING about the provenance of those rifles. I suspect the Gillespie/Alamo stories are only legends of someones mind!

I do know that the Crockett family and the Gillespie family of western VA/TN intermarried. I remember seeing at least one Gillespie named "Crockett Gillespie". I know that many of them were related to Davy Crocket and to John Gillespie the gun maker.
For what its worth!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 04:22:19 PM »
FYI, A civil war Hardy Hat ID'd to Elias Gillespie PA 4th Cav  is listed on the Pittsburgh Craigslist.  Don't know if it relates to this family, but thought I would share that in case.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.