Author Topic: What are those holes for?  (Read 4665 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

What are those holes for?
« on: August 28, 2012, 03:20:23 AM »
Several original southern style rifles I've seen have holes drilled in the lower but stock between the trigger gaurd and toe plate. Was that for a touch hole feather?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Dave B

Re: What are those holes for?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 03:59:15 AM »
I have been told that is what it was for. The first one I saw was on the Nicolas Beyer rifle owned by Homer Dangler. Beyer built rifles in Lebanon Co PA
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Rich

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 05:39:05 AM »
At the Washington Historical Gunmakers' event, I thought I heard Ian Pratt mention that it could be for an awl. I think the hole was actually threaded in that case.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 07:01:19 PM »
I thought originally it might have been where previous owner might have had a sling attached but after shooting a while I've learned what a handy thing a small clipped feather can be to keep touch hole open. Works just like a pipe cleaner and more easily found out in the woods. 
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 12:07:24 AM »
I have seen only a few that still had anything in them and even when they do there is usually no way to tell how long it has been there. I suspect that feathers were often stored in the holes in the toe and once found a George Fisher (VA) rifle with a feather that had been very neatly trimmed to form a little double sided brush shape.

There are some surviving rifles with steel touch hole picks in the toe and one from (if memory serves) the Young/Simpson VA/TN group has a silver inlay around the hole and a threaded pick that screws into place! High class!
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline bgf

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 05:08:45 AM »
There are some surviving rifles with steel touch hole picks in the toe and one from (if memory serves) the Young/Simpson VA/TN group has a silver inlay around the hole and a threaded pick that screws into place! High class!
Gary

Those are the ones I was thinking of.  Of course they are high class -- once you order the gold touchhole and barrel breech shield, it starts to look a little miserly to cut corners anywhere :)

Looking through Ivey, the inlay around the hole (but probably for feather and not threaded) is not unheard of in NC, either (e.g. Ivey #168), though they seem to tend toward a pick holder under the cheekpiece.  Also, I also noticed a couple of Mecklenburg(NC) rifles by Christian Arney with what appear to be 2 feather holes in their full-length toeplates, Ivey #'s 162 and 164.  In fact, 162 appears to have pick holder under the cheekpiece as well, so it has provision for two feathers and a pick!  The same appears to be the case with Ivey #5 (David Kennedy), which has two inlaid feather holes on the toe and holes under the cheekpiece for mounting a pick (or so it appears to me).

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 10:50:20 AM »
I  thought that the feather was used to plug the vent to prevent moisture from getting  to the powder when hunting and the pick to clean the vent. Are they interchangible?
Gene

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 10:15:07 PM »
Feathers were apparently used several different ways. The is one early 19th century account of loading where the feather is inserted in the touch hole before the charge goes down the bore and is then pulled when he was ready to prime.

Audubon watches his host prepare for a night of raccoon hunting:

"… He blows through his rifle to ascertain that it is clear, examines his flint, and thrusts a feather into the touch-hole. To a leathern bag swung at his side is attached a powder-horn; his sheath-knife is there also; below hangs a narrow strip of homespun linen. He takes from his bag a bullet, pulls with his teeth the wooden stopper from his powder-horn, lays the ball in one hand, and with the other pours the powder upon it until it is just overtopped. Raising the horn to his mouth, he again closes it with the stopper, and restores it to its place. He introduces the powder into the tube; springs the box of his gun, greases the "patch" over with some melted tallow, or damps it; then places it on the honey-combed muzzle of his piece. The bullet is placed on the patch over the bore, and pressed with the handle of the knife, which now trims the edge of the linen. The elastic hickory rod, held with both hands, smoothly pushes the ball to its bed; once, twice, thrice has it rebounded. The rifle leaps as it were into the hunters arms, the feather is drawn from the touch-hole, the powder fills the pan, which is closed. “Now I’m ready,” cries the woodsman….

I think this practice may have continued with target shooters in the 1920s who didn't want to blow any powder out the hole.

Other claim the were inserted when at day's hunt was over and the rifle was in camp. I learned the hard way that a rifle laying on the floor of a tent or lean-to can end up with a damp charge in the touch hole over night. Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Andy A

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 02:04:40 AM »
Many years ago I recieved a French and Indain War fowler as a birthday present. The stock was in bad shape and very powdery and all that could be saved was the brass and iron. The holes under the butt contained a little pick and a little feather! The feather fell into dust after I pulled it out.