Author Topic: Were US military rifle stocks stained during the first half of the 19th Century?  (Read 3281 times)

Andy A

Was the walnut on these stocks stained? What finish was applied on US martial arms stocks in the early 19th Century?

Hopefully this will be an easy answer......

Andy

Offline satwel

No standard production rifle or musket stocks made at Springfield Armory were ever stained. Don't know about Harper's Ferry but I suspect not as well.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
Several coats of linseed oil give these stocks their color and the deeming ability to see into the depths of the grain.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Artificer

I do not have access to many of the original documents that are still extant about Harpers Ferry and perhaps there are documents where materials that could be used for staining were purchased, but I agree I don’t believe they stained stocks.  To my knowledge, Springfield did not start staining stocks until the 20th century when they first started using logwood stain on 03 and some Garand stock wood sets.
Gus

Andy A

Thanks everyone! :)

Offline JCKelly

I THINK US walnut stocks were soaked in a mix of linseed oil (the real stuff, cold-pressed we would call it today, no driers, i.e., not "boiled oil") and  real turpentine. Gave a durable finish, not so great for bringing out figured grain but rather good for surviving out in the elements.

The stocks had not been "whiskered"  Some original condition 19th century walnut stocks have picked up enough moisture over the last century or so to raise the grain. That is the "prickly" wood, which military collectors so prize.

Given a generous imagination, one might see some "prickles" on the wrist of this 1812 Harpers Ferry musket

Or maybe no. Mat Brady I am not.

54ball

I copied A Handbook for Riflemen in the Modern Art of War, 1812 edition.
Very interesting stuff.

It mentions finishes or coatings on the rifle to prevent rust reduce glare. It mentions rifles being blackened, browned or greened. It had instructions for making this camphor, turpentine, sweet oil and beeswax varnish.

I thought it very interesting. It talks about applying it like paint.
I wonder if the whole rifle was done or just the metal?

This is different than muskets which are seen bright.  The rifle corps were elite light troops that did flanking and spying.